Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short my neighbor has diabetes. I was just wondering if anyone has any info on a good cookbook? Or a general guideline type of book that they would recommend? Thanx in advance
Kevin

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
As stated above, carbs, sugar, white bread , white potatoes, white rice are not good at all for a diabetic. I am type 2 and have cut all these types of foods out of my diet in one year I lost 85 lbs plus exercise. I have kept the weight off for three years now. Was not easy but better alternative to losing your sight and or losing a limb.

Steve

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Tell him to get it under control and not to let it slide. There are a lot of side effects that comes with diabetes . Don't have any cookbook ideas but there are a lot of people who specialize and can point him in the right direction.. Again try get it under control quikly

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
I am type 2 diabetic. Tell him to research a ketogenic diet. If he can do it he can possibly get off meds and control it all through diet. He will have to be motivated and it will be a life long fight, but it is the best I have found so far.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanx

I know what the problems are but she won't admit it. She goes to dialysis and then comes home and has 2 suckers because they make her feel better. Aggravates the hell out of me. Im thinking that if her and the family actually see the words written down it may make a difference. I'm hoping anyway.

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
If her diabetes has gotten to the point of ruining her kidneys and she won't listen, there's no hope. As others said diet and exercise.

·
Registered
4,501 Posts
Anytime your A1C is 6.0 or higher you are slowly damaging your organs.

You will die without protein but there is not one single thing in a carbohydrate you can't live without.

·
Idiot Savant
169,571 Posts
Thanx

I know what the problems are but she won't admit it. She goes to dialysis and then comes home and has 2 suckers because they make her feel better. Aggravates the hell out of me. Im thinking that if her and the family actually see the words written down it may make a difference. I'm hoping anyway.

What's her blood pressure?

·
Idiot Savant
169,571 Posts
Anytime your A1C is 6.0 or higher you are slowly damaging your organs.

You will die without protein but there is not one single thing in a carbohydrate you can't live without.

For people without diabetes, the normal range for the hemoglobin A1c level is between 4% and 5.6%. Hemoglobin A1c levels between 5.7% and 6.4% mean you have a higher chance of getting diabetes. Levels of 6.5% or higher mean you have diabetes.

·
Idiot Savant
169,571 Posts
One thing you must consider with diabetes is that is a lot like cancer in that it is different in everyone that has it. I can pretty much ignore it during the day, but I take about 300 units of insulin when I go to sleep. My biggest problem is my liver, after the pancreas thing. It's genetic, has little to do with what I eat.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
One thing you must consider with diabetes is that is a lot like cancer in that it is different in everyone that has it. I can pretty much ignore it during the day, but I take about 300 units of insulin when I go to sleep. My biggest problem is my liver, after the pancreas thing. It's genetic, has little to do with what I eat.
Do you mean 30?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts