Yellow Bullet Forums banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
A Senior Member
2,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Success! This was a great surprise for my son, it's the one he wanted to try out and he did just that with some ribs and then chicken breast for supper Sunday.

Thank You all for the suggestions.

·
A Senior Member
2,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
This weekend!

·
Trolling the Trolls
14,162 Posts
For chunks of meat, like a pork shoulder or beef chuck roast, I love my Chargriller Kamando. It took a few tries to know how to dial it in, but I no longer worry about it. I can keep it at 265-275 on the built in temp gauge with ease.

Start fire, 1/2 hour later put the meat on, babysit for 1/2 hour to an hour to be sure temps are stable (windy days can be a PITA!) and then just walk away. After 4 hours of smoking I'll pulled the shoulder and wrap in foil, put it on for another 2-3 hours which is when the fire is starting to die out. Perfect is when the fire is dying out (below 200) and you can just let the shoulder rest there for another hour or three depending on how long of a nap you take, which depends on the number of beers consumed in the process.

I have woke up in the morning after the meat has been on the hear for 8-9 hours. Grill is at 140-160, meat was at 165 having peaked at 205-210. My buddy having tasted a bit while I was pulling it apart, left to go get proper buns and fixins. Might not be "show quality" but damn good eating and we hit up BBQ joints whenever we travel.

Doing a full brisket packer in one piece would be near impossible though due to size of the clog, but also add more fuel to keep the fire going long enough. Longest fire I've had is 10 hours.

·
A Senior Member
2,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Nice Mista, that chuck roast sounds good.

We can relate to the beer drinking and cooking. A couple of years ago we were frying the Thanksgiving turkey and having a few. Well we got bored with watching the turkey fry and started mulling around in the yard and lost track of time. Now there is like 10 relatives waiting in the house to eat this thing when I remembered it. Honest to God it came out of the fryer BLACK inside and out. All I could think about was what store is open and do they have frozen Stouffers turkey and stuffing. There was silence and staring when I set it on the center island in the kitchen. I managed to get threw the bark and find enough white meat that was surprisingly moist. (brined the day before)
Last year my wife went back to the old oven method. LOL

·
Trolling the Trolls
14,162 Posts
Trying to smoke at 225, low and slow, the temp. wasn't high enough and I ended up with "creosote" Boston Butt.

Talk about getting through the crust!

How I setup the "fuel" but I know now to use more.

Ready to cook. The extra tray makes it very easy to move the meat around without handling it.

Fits right onto cookie sheet which fits the sink opening

PS: Photos are not from the same cooking, just a general idea of how I do my thing.

·
Trolling the Trolls
14,162 Posts
For pork shoulder, I only use "pre-brined" shoulders, aka injected cuts of meat to make then weigh more, but keeps them juicy during cooking. I get mine from Kroger. Got that tip from a Facebook BBQ Group, from a guy that has won several competitions because the shoulders are consistent in quality and cooking time. I've tried others, but keep coming back to the Kroger cryovac'd ones for ease of cooking.

Honey Baked Hams are done this way, allowed to sit overnight in palletainers, then socked and hung the next day for cooking/smoking. Working at John Morrell in Cincy, I got to see the whole ham process during the busy season. We would do hams from first full week after Labor Day till beginning of December to pick up extra production that Sewer (Sioux Falls) couldn't handle.

Also, I don't do ribs, period. I cooked enough when I was 17-18 working at a local hotel restaurant (1984-1985) that I just don't want them ever again. Sheri's Lounge at Sheraton Springdale. We we rated 3rd in the city by Cincinnati Magazine, and we didn't even smoke them! Montgomery Inn won of course. Simple Bloggett convection oven is all we had.

·
Trolling the Trolls
14,162 Posts
Success! This was a great surprise for my son, it's the one he wanted to try out and he did just that with some ribs and then chicken breast for supper Sunday.

View attachment 62243

View attachment 62244
I have thought about trying one of those smokers now that I can get pellets ($$$) at Kroger or Meijer for when I'd run out, late at night. I'd also like a BGE, but only cooking for one, and having gout issues, I can't stand the hurt right now.

·
Former RJ instigator
38,995 Posts
Honey Baked Hams are done this way, allowed to sit overnight in palletainers, then socked and hung the next day for cooking/smoking. Working at John Morrell in Cincy, I got to see the whole ham process during the busy season. We would do hams from first full week after Labor Day till beginning of December to pick up extra production that Sewer (Sioux Falls) couldn't handle.

I lived in Sioux falls SD for a few years, one of my favorite places to fish was the Sioux river just south of the John Morel meat packing plant and north of 'the falls', holy fuck did that plant stink up the place, but the fishing was always on point, I often wondered if the plant's proximity to the Sioux river had something to do with the good fishing?, okay so now I'm envisioning mass quantities of animal blood pouring into the river. :unsure::D

Oh and maybe if you ever ate some good ribs that were actually smoked, it might change your mind.

·
A Senior Member
2,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Too much work for not enough meat.
I agree, and i am not into the gristle! My son pick the above ribs clean and busted my balls about what I left on them.

I really want to try the Easter ham out in this thing.

Corey's doctoring up a pork shoulder tonight for cooking over the weekend. Last week we stopped at the Traeger grill place and bought a couple of rubs and a sauce that's tasty and not spicy. ( My stomach is too old for real spicey)

cepx111 your vittles always look excellent.

Mista, I take 100mg of allopurinol daily for the gout and haven't had an attack in years. My right big toe getting stiff is an indicator, letting me know I am indulging too much in the gooood things.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts

View attachment 62243

View attachment 62244
I bought that same smoker a couple years ago. The purist will hate it but easier to use and the temp stays spot on. Less hassle and cheaper than propane or charcoal. Cook yore stuff in a pan or foil. Makes cleanup a breeze. You will wonder how you lived without one. Have fun and eat up!

·
Trolling the Trolls
14,162 Posts
I
I agree, and i am not into the gristle! My son pick the above ribs clean and busted my balls about what I left on them.

I really want to try the Easter ham out in this thing.

Corey's doctoring up a pork shoulder tonight for cooking over the weekend. Last week we stopped at the Traeger grill place and bought a couple of rubs and a sauce that's tasty and not spicy. ( My stomach is too old for real spicey)

cepx111 your vittles always look excellent.

Mista, I take 100mg of allopurinol daily for the gout and haven't had an attack in years. My right big toe getting stiff is an indicator, letting me know I am indulging too much in the gooood things.
should see a doctor to get on allopurinol, but I'm hard headed and close to just watch what I eat instead.

41 - 54 of 54 Posts