Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm looking at a class that requires a 4150 intake, carb and plate and I need some suggestions. I currently 4500 size stuff, no adapter plates are allowed, so I need a new intake. Should I just get the same thing I've got now (Super Victor) and port match it, or is there a better option out there? Motor is a high-rpm 9.8" deck BBC.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
517 Posts
Hey guys, I'm looking at a class that requires a 4150 intake, carb and plate and I need some suggestions. I currently 4500 size stuff, no adapter plates are allowed, so I need a new intake. Should I just get the same thing I've got now (Super Victor) and port match it, or is there a better option out there? Motor is a high-rpm 9.8" deck BBC.

Thanks!!
what class are you going to run??? and what heads do you have on the engine?

·
Registered
27,956 Posts
May just be my imagination and a personal preference, but I alway found the Holley Strip Dominators to work better than the Super Victors, at least on the 4150 stuff. That said, I'm sure there are some better manifolds out there that can be made to work very well.

·
Registered
6,311 Posts
I too like the Strip Dominator intakes. I know on the 460/468 engines I have done I have not gone faster with any other intake. I tried several others and they were the same or slower. I also found on those smaller stock stroke combos the 4150 carb was faster than the 1050 dominators I tried. My stuff made peak HP at 7200 and went through the traps at 7500. They made between 700 and 760 HP depending on heads and intakes. Not sure what you call high RPMs.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The motor is a 13:1 509 (4.5"x4") with AFR 335cnc heads and a pretty big solid roller. The shift light comes on at 8900rpm. Rules state must be a "commercially available" cast 4150 manifold, no adapters.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
I have seen a ported Dart 4150 BBC intake manifold make some big power on a short stroke big bore engine...

·
RED ROCKET
8,630 Posts
wow!!8900 is way up there on the tach.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I agree with the Sniper Jr 4150 based intake. VERY good intake and will work in those rpm ranges. With such limitations, you will need a big plenum, short runner manifold for the rpm..The Sniper is a well designed custom intake with very good fuel distribution.

·
Registered
517 Posts
The motor is a 13:1 509 (4.5"x4") with AFR 335cnc heads and a pretty big solid roller. The shift light comes on at 8900rpm. Rules state must be a "commercially available" cast 4150 manifold, no adapters.
Are ?you going to run NOS

·
Registered
95 Posts
13:1, a 335cc head and 8900 RPM doesn't compute:confused:

Why nearly a 9000RPM shift point?

·
Registered
27,956 Posts
Damn, forget the Strip Dominator. At 9 grand you'll be needing more manifold than that.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sniper intake was the first one I looked up, but I only saw 4500 based. The motor was originally built for multiple stages of N2O. I didn't plan to spin it quite that high, but it kept making power on the dyno, so . . .

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I heard something about some shop that was taking Vic. Jr. intakes, bandsawing them in half, doing all kinds of work to them, then welding them back up. Urban Legend or???

·
Registered
20,824 Posts
Self Racing and Chris U. do this not sure if its limited to a certain one makes good sense.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Any professional head porter can do that work. A vic jr. can support north of 900HP without cutting it in half.

How much power do you think this engine will make?

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I never dyno'd the motor on spray, so I could only guess at total HP. I'm going to have to pretty much start over anyhow if I make the change to this 4150- based class. Looks like I'll probably just do another Edelbrock intake and port-match it. I'd love to try something different just for "different's sake" but they seem to work well.

·
Registered
8,892 Posts
I never dyno'd the motor on spray, so I could only guess at total HP. I'm going to have to pretty much start over anyhow if I make the change to this 4150- based class. Looks like I'll probably just do another Edelbrock intake and port-match it. I'd love to try something different just for "different's sake" but they seem to work well.
you looking to run Limited 10.5 n/a ?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts