Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Ice Cream Wolfpack
18,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at getting a used (2000 or newer) 250 2 cycle for a starter dirt bike. I've ridden before, but I have never owned a bike at all. This is just for fun on the weekends, trail riding and goofing around, not crazy motoX or competitions.

Any insight from the bullet's bike guys? My buddy has a YZ 250 and loves it, is that the way to go?

·
Registered
238 Posts
my first dirt bike was a yzf400 I was 18 been riding since i was 3 nothing with power tho the best thing anyone ever told me was to respect the bike or it would bite me in the ass! I didnt and it did

·
Ice Cream Wolfpack
18,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
first thing I would do is shit can the two stroke idea and go with a 250 for stroke
Why 4 stroke? The stuff I had been reading was saying the 250 2 strokes run like a 450 4 stroke.

Thanks for the reply. I am scared shitless of bikes, so I am pretty careful on them.

·
Budget Beater
1,504 Posts
As with car brands, you will get many suggestions, 2 strokes are very easy to rebuild, 4 strokes aren't hard but are more cost involved. 4 strokes are more reliable (the general consensus). KTM makes some very nice bikes in 2 or 4 stroke and have many models if you want motox, enduro, etc. If you just want to ride and have fun, the Honda XR series are great to play on. There are several forums for dirt bike riders, check them out and ask questions.

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
If your going to get a 250 honda's are more out there.But ktm has the best stock bikes,but cost more.250's are nice but for a few more buck's i would step up to a 4 stroke 450.Something you migh consider is a on/off road bike in the 450's also.Get to ride on the dirt and play and run to the store if you need to.If it's just for trail riding and no m/x.The 450's make as much power now day's as the 250's.But if you still want a 250 look for a good honda.Also when looking at a used bike.Look at frame for any crack's around the steering head and foot peg's.Most people don't check that stuff but i buy and sell them everyday and you would be suprised how many have cracked frames around the steering head or pegs.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I did alot of trail riding a few years back and now starting to get back into it as well. I first had cr250's the latest was an 03. Traded it for a crf450 in 06, brand new. Power wise the 450 beats a 250 period, but you'll have to change the gearing on the sprokets for trail riding, and over heating in tight quarters can be an issue. I loved both bikes, but I would prefer the 250.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I've ridden or owned them all, they all have and bad points, I really liked my Honda's and Yamaha's. I also had a '01 KX 250 that was built ground up but for some reason just didn't feel as strong as it should. As long as the bikes in good shape they'll all do the job though. As far as the 450 4-strokes the power is awesome, more than the 250 2-stroke but like said earlier the maintenance is alot more involved.

·
Registered
655 Posts
MX bikes: If you like grenading engines, then by all means, buy a used 4-stroke.

But it sounds like you arent intending to race this bike....
So do you really need a MX bike? How about just putting some knobbies on a streetable, licensable dual-purpose bike?

There's a guy at work who wanted a play bike, and bought a 250cc 2-stroke. He never had a bike like this, and now he hates it cuz its too high-strung for what he is doing with it. And his asshole neighbors call the cops whenever he fires it up after washing it, carb tweaking, etc. etc.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
For my first bike, last year, I found a KTM 300 exc 2 stroke for $800 and it is nice, tons of power and street legal. It bit me once already while trying to idle around in a gravel parking lot. I panic grabbed some throttle and before I knew it I was over the bars and laughing... Haha I am very comfortable on 2 stroke quad but this thing is a whole new hall game. It's safest I learned to ride the sand dunes with a paddle tire. No trees or rocks to hit. hehe I still hate the twist throttle but am getting used to it. Goodluck and be careful. Remember you can kill yourself on a 50 or 500..

·
Dr. Greenthumb
2,659 Posts
My suggestion...SHOP AROUND. Do not jump into the first bike you see. Its definately a buyers market right now. Awesome deals are out there. Be very careful of buying a used 4 stroke. From a private owner especially. Alot of guys sell them right before theyre getting ready to shit the bed. Then the new owner ends up buying the bike,plus a 2000 dollar repair bill. If they cant do it themselves anyway. Ofcourse you could have bought a new bike for that. 4 strokes are easier to ride generally. If you go 4 get a 450 though. On a 250 you'll feel like your on a kx 80 or something. lol For what your using it for. You wont go wrong with any main manufacturer. Its all personal preference really. Newer KTM's make the power, and have the best brakes in the business. Tough question because since 2000, there have been alot of changes to all makes. So "The best" really depends on what year your looking at. For your purpose, like I said. You really wont go wrong with any brand. If I had the $$ This is what I would buy.

http://www.servicehonda.com/honda-2010-models/250af

·
Motorboatin SOB
10,309 Posts
I disagree with a LOT of these guys.

Im 25 and have riden since I was 7.

You NEED a 4 stroke. My parents have 10 acres of land that me and my brother used to ride on a lot and we had 4 strokes, then bought 2 KX250 (Kawasaki's). Trail riding with a 2 stroke is a fucking joke. Sure, they can be balls out fast, but there is ZERO torque with a 2 stroke and thats what you need trail riding/not going WFO all the time.

You would be more than fine (as long as you can fit on it size wise) to buy a used 250 bike to start. That will get your feet wet and get used to how you ride/where you ride, how to wrench on it, etc. Then when you feel like your ready, sell it and get a 450. If your a really fast learner and things get slow fast like me, go ahead and get the 450 right from the start.

When you go to look at bikes and you wanna know if its been raced, look at the hand grips. If there is what looks like mechanics wire wrapped around them in a couple different spots on each side, its been raced. Just throwing that out there.

Good luck on your hunt!

·
Registered
4,522 Posts
MX bikes: If you like grenading engines, then by all means, buy a used 4-stroke.
For sure, unless it has an hour meter on it and maintenance can be proved. Blow one up and you are looking at $1200 minimum.

The comment on the KDX200 is spot on. For the money and what you are looking to do its a perfect bike and will last forever.

You don't NEED a 4 stroke and IMO you don't want one. A 450 MX bike is the last thing you want as a beginner.

·
Budget Beater
1,504 Posts
wired grips is not a dead on clue, I have ridden for 30+ years and worked in the industry for 10, I know many people that wire them as a safety point, sucks having a grip slide off when your running hard (been there, done that, have the shirt, lol). The guys that I know that race take better care of their bikes than the average joe, and I have seen the average joe run their bikes just as hard with way less maintenance...it is a tough call on used bikes, your taking a chance no matter what.

·
Cowboy up
1,690 Posts
I used to race motocross, and I never had the money to go out and buy a new bike. I would ONLY buy used bikes that were owned by racers. Trust me, they are meticulously maintained compared to buying a bike from some bullshit rider that doesnt know how to work on a bike.

·
Registered
250 Posts
There are good points in all your responses. I have been dirt biking since the last 70s and still do today. I love 2 strokes and always will and I own a cr250 and a crf250x currently. Now with that being said there are pluses and minuses to each. Any mx bike is going to be a handful if you are just starting out. I love riding the new 4 stroke mx bikes of today, but as mentioned there are serious maintenance issues with mx models due to titanium valves and valvetrain stuff. 250 and 500 2 stroke mx bikes are a hoot to ride, but the power to a rookie can be too much and hard to control especially in the woods. 125s are really hard for rookies to control because the powerband is so narrow. If you are looking to just have fun in the woods it is hard to beat the KDX200, and I have personally put 1000 miles trouble free on one. KTM and husky 4 stroke woods bikes have stainless valves so they are more forgiving like an XR/Crf 230, ttr , DRZ etc. Bottom line is be careful when purchasing used, but it is a buyers market right now. If looking a at a 4 stoke look at all the mentioned stuff, plus look at the air filter is it clean. Dirt in the motor is a killer on tit valve motors. Just buy according to what you are capable of handling and what you intend to do with it. Most of all enjoy, if you have the wrong bike for the job it will not be fun.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Ever consider a cr500? I had one, never had issues. You can lug it around in the bush and when you hit an open field or gravel road watch out!

1 - 20 of 48 Posts