Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The axle tubes on my 12 bolt are bent in two directions, like a bow and a smile. Can they be straightened? Is it cost effective? Or where can I get new tubes? I think people bend their axle tubes for rear steer, and circle track applications. I want to keep car as stock as possible.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Replace the tubes with CM tubes. I’ve never bent my CM tubes on my Dana 60 (and I have been pretty brutal on it over the years!) You will preserve that stock look with no bracing. May drop 25# off the rear at the same time.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! How thick of tubing did you use? Strange has 3 inch tubing .250 thick, but it is not chrome moly.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I do not know the tube thickness. It was built by MW. Too bad this question wasn’t last month as I just had the rear narrowed and it would have been easily measured. I would consult w/ MW, just a phone call away.

·
139 Posts
We have and sell the 3” tube that is 4130. However that’s a big job to replace the tubes with all the mounting brackets not mention having the alignment tools for the stock ends.

I think you might be better off finding a good used housing to replace it. If it is for racing a new rear with 4130 tubes is available. That housing has axles with a housing end that eliminates the C-clip type axles.

Also please note all the housing we sell have the 4130 tubes as a standard item.

·
Registered
14,597 Posts
How far is it bent? You can just straighten what you have, I do it in a big hydraulic shop press. It would be a good idea to weld the tubes to the center section first so you don't loosen them in the press fit.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies. The tubes are welded now. Local shop with press did not want to attempt it. The were afraid of crushing the tubes.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Spot heat and cool to shrink tubes back into alignment? A little torch work will move tubing around a lot

·
Registered
36 Posts
^^ the flame wrench is your friend !!!!
I have heated tubes and cooled on a bunch of rear ends. about a year ago I narrowed a friends that we had to straighten when we put new ends on to my surprise after a few years it was still pretty straight.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks, I was leery of putting the blue wrench to it. Can't mess it up any more than it is already.

·
Registered
14,597 Posts
The stick welder method is reliable. Use 3/16 rods, weld in a radial arc around the tube, on the side you want to shorten, the cooling weld will shrink the steel on that side. Longer arc and hotter weld will move it more. Repeat as necessary. Welding lengthwise will work too, but you have to weld a LOT more and it will make more stress in the tube.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts