Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I only have 2" above my carb at the most and know it is not a good situation but none the less am considering building an air pan to gather 99% of the air from the windshield base in the back of the hood. It is just a regular hot air grabber as of now, in fact the hood even has restricted openings in it now. Would any of you have experiance to draw on as to what it might be worth in performance, et or hp. Car is a new combination and far from optimized with only 15 passes down to the 5.7's so far but will get to the 5.6's in another trip or two to the track. weighs 3015 lbs and 1100 hp on the dyno. There is lots of things to be worked on but this is rising on my list and I would just like quantifiable feedback so as to give it a spot on the priority list. What do you know ???

·
Registered
479 Posts
We ran an air pan on the car below. It was open at the windshield and to be honest, I don't think it really helped much. I had planned on sealing up the opening in back and installing air ducts behind the grill to get more air forced into the car as it accelerated. I do know that would have helped from work I'd done on an earler car with a conventional scoop.
Good luck.

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
Take the air in from the fog lamp / front plate area I think that is your best place to gather "good" air from. I have a 4th gen, anything by the windshield has been worthless. The front facing fog lamp set-up has produced gains (albiet small).

·
Motorboatin SOB
10,309 Posts
I have a 3rd gen Camaro as well and we made an air pan to seal the carb to the 4" cowl hood and notice no difference ET or MPH wise. Im sure it makes the power a little easier b/c its not suckin in the hot air,but we didnt pick up shit. Its very consistant so I would know if it helped or not. Can get you a pic if you want.

Just used a 1/8" thick piece of alumin (sign material for us) and went to a fabric store and bought some tall foam and stuck it to the aluminum pan, and just kept cutting it down in the front as we needed to get the hood to fit back on correctly. Drilled 2 holes for the fuel bowl vents to stick through as well and helps hold it in place.

·
Registered
788 Posts
there has been several good thread on here about this topic. You can probably do a search and find a couple of them.
Pro Systems also sells a pan. Might be worth giving Patrick a call

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Heres what I just did to get air from the front of the car. I didn't think it would work to good trying to get air from the windsheild area.

It seals to the bottom off the hood and I plan making a duct in front of the radiator so it doesn't get any heat from it.

·
Motorboatin SOB
10,309 Posts
Jake, that looks kick ass dude...should work pretty damn good !

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I just made some shake down passes yesterday. This is the first time out so I'm not sure if the pan helped or not. I didn't want to run it without the pan beacause the cowl hoods on the 4th gen camaros seem to suck air out of the hood rather then feeding it. So I didn't like the thought of air rushing over the carb without a filter. Not sure if that would have drawn fuel out of the carb and onto the windshield or not.

I have a tight converter and tall gears to run on the motor with a glide but it went 10.84 @ 126 right off the trailer first time out.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
definetely depends on the vehicle
i have made 3 for fox body mustangs and they have all picked up
one on a maibu and 2 later model s10's that have not
my buddy has a vega that he did a cowl hood pan for that didn't seem to do anything either , he switched to a forward facing scoop and so far that has not really shown any progress either

1 - 14 of 14 Posts