Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
1973 Camaro Z/28, 434, NETO/N
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there. Does anyone have any solid data concerning the benefits of using a 4-port water bypass on a small block chevy manifold? Does it help equalize cylinder temperature? Release steam pockets? Drag race or circle track use? What is your experience?

For example, here is my 434 with an Edelbrock 2892 SVII with the rear ports plumbed to under the thermostat...

Auto part Gas Motor vehicle Machine Office equipment

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Circle track guys should be answering this question.

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
I've ran bigger lines in the past, but just have two -4 lines now. The thinking I believe is to prevent air or pockets. I wanted all the water I could between the exhaust ports with my turbo engine, so I run a bypass out the top of the intake in the center with -6. Also run -6 from the water pump to the center of the head into stainless tubes that go between the exhaust valves. And run another -6 from the water pump to the drains in the bottom of the block. Always thought the best setup on a SBC would be feeding all the water to the center of the block and out of the 4 corners. I believe that's been done quite a bit. I wanted to tap my Dart block in the center for a huge fitting but was to scared, lol.
Edit, just remembered having efi and a fuel rail and ten tons of shit on my intake, the -4 also allowed me to run the lines under the intake.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Geoff, I'm guessing he didn't like the answer that RW Tech gave him. :eek:
Hey Ron, I posted the thread in both forums to expand the knowledge base. I'm open to everyone's experience.

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
What are some of the other opinions? I'm not certain the rear lines are a huge advantage other than helping get air out when filling the radiator. I first started using them only because everyone else was.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What are some of the other opinions?
I've read a lot of mixed opinions. Most of them positive from those who have ran it. Particularly from circle track experience. I figured it couldn't hurt. Why not test it out for myself? It's simple enough to remove if I experience any negative effects, but I don't think that will be the case.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've accumulated a few photos of various set-ups utilizing the rear ports...

Automotive tire Purple Motor vehicle Automotive design Bumper

Combat vehicle Self-propelled artillery Automotive tire Hood Vehicle

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Chopper,
Here is what you are NOT taking into account.
When the factory designs the cooling system, they mount sensors in appropriate places to monitor temp & flow.
That is called scientific testing.

Not one person on this site or ST that has done this cooling 'improvement' has provided any evidence of testing that proves this modification improves cooling on the factory system.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
I'm pretty sure the more 90's you throw on those two hoses, the greater the chance of reduced to no flow you'll have thru them.
If you manage to achieve flow though the hoses, the better the chance you'll have at reducing total flow across the front three cylinders.
Unless every aftermarket head mfr has done a whole bunch of CFD on the coolant velocities and distribution, altering the OEM SBC head coolant flow will usually yield minimal positive results.
The reason reverse flow cooling systems have those little hoses is for de-aeration as entrained air bubbles hate flowing down from the head to the block.

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
OEM cooling is probably going to be fine for the majority of NA engines, but no way will a power adder SBC combo live without addressing the center cylinders with the exhaust valves next to each other. I'm a believer in getting as much flow and movement of water in that area as possible.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Chopper,
When the factory designs the cooling system, they mount sensors in appropriate places to monitor temp & flow.

Not one person on this site or ST that has done this cooling 'improvement' has provided any evidence of testing that proves this modification improves cooling on the factory system.
I haven't stated any facts or opinions concerning this modification. What I do know, is that the small block chevy was designed almost 70 years ago by engineers who adopt 'cost savings' into their designs for the OEM. They could have never predicted the extensive production run and aftermarket performance use for so many decades. This platform has been revised by the OEM many times as well as extensive aftermarket/race modification throughout the years. I'm reaching out to the knowledge base on the forums to inquire about anyone's personal experience concerning any scientific testing of this modification. It is certainly a bold statement to assume that not one person on these forums can answer the questions.
Thank you for your contribution.

·
Registered
7,696 Posts
Chopper,

Considering most just block off the back ports, I don't see what the problem is discussing it. I looped my back ports together with #10 line. Supposedly it helps with consistency in head Temps which equals more consistent times (bracket racing).
I do not have the study conducted by the New England medical journal to back up those claims though. 😟

Reactions: DualQuadDave
1 - 20 of 97 Posts