Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How important is a belt drive on a nos smallblock verses a cloyes billet timing chain thanks in advance

·
Registered
728 Posts
Nitrous really doesn't have anything to do with it. Whether it's NA, NOS, turbo, or blown a belt is always better than a chain mainly because of the dampening of valvetrain harmonics among other reasons. If you can afford it, always go with a belt drive. It's only $100 for a replacement belt whenever you freshen the engine.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Just trying to figure out how important it is .It will be tough trying to swing the extra 300 with everything else I have just purchased but if it is that important to have I will find a way like we always do when messing with these race cars

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
Save your money and spend it where you need it more. The whole harmonics thing isn't as big of a deal that it's made out to be. I've done a ton of research on it, and you'd be surprised at what you find. Give Milodon or RCD a call, and they will change your mind about that subject...I'll take a good Milodon or RCD gear drive over a belt any day of the week. Belts can and do break, and you won't see any HP from using one. They do have some advantages, like easily adjustable cam timing, but why do you need that at the track? If your stuff is set up right from the beginning, there's no need for that adjustment, and it's just one more thing to go wrong.....A high quality timing chain will get the job done as well, and you'll have more money for things that will benefit your program more....

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
Why not? It's been done before. I just disagree that a belt is required. The OP doesn't "need" a belt drive on his stuff, that's money that can be better spent elsewhere. Don't get me wrong, I don't has an issue with belts and they do have some advantages, but there is more hype than reality behind them and too many people get caught up in the marketing. It's not a requirement, just another option to consider.

·
Registered
13,889 Posts
plenty of timing chains running out there w heavy nitrous , I run both cant see a difference between engines
you don't ??
put a timing light on a motor with a chain after 20 /30 runs , and watch the timing jump around @ idle .. that slop can't be good at all..

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
you don't ??
put a timing light on a motor with a chain after 20 /30 runs , and watch the timing jump around @ idle .. that slop can't be good at all..
I don't race at idle and there seems to be no slop at 7500 RPM that we can tell which is as high as I rev my BBC

50 nitrous runs so far and runs like a champ,stud mounted rockers too... Oh the blasphemy

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
So are you guys saying a belt is stronger and stretches less than a chain?

·
Registered
27,956 Posts
So are you guys saying a belt is stronger and stretches less than a chain?
Well, we certainly don't see any chain driven superchargers anymore.:cool:

·
Registered
15,365 Posts
Main things,

A belt will control cam timing better than a chain.

A belt will allow for easier cam timing adjustment.

If you run a lot of crankcase vacuum the seals available for belt drives do a very good job.

Smaller things,

A belt looks cool!

A belt will not contribute fine metal particles to the oil.

A belt has less rotational weight and friction.

Bad things,

A belt costs more.....that's all I got.

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
Belts stretch, chains stretch. Belts are easy to replace, chains are a pain. Belts break, so do chains.... Unless your stuff is on the ragged edge, and you're willing to spend any amount of money to find 1/10th of a hp, your motor won't see any difference, but your wallet will. Harmonics in the valve train. Does it exist? Yes. If you do the research though, you'll find out a lot more than most will tell you, and there is a TON of hype about the subject. Gear drives. Rock solid timing, reliable (love where they say a belt is more durable, yeah right....), and if you get a quality one like a Milodon or RCD, that uses a fixed idler attached to the cover and set clearances properly, you'll have a setup that will last just about forever and will require no maintenance at all...stay away from the cheap ones like Pete Jackson though, those can and do cause issues with the valve train. Regardless, the only time your engine will see a difference in HP with any of the mentioned drive systems is when your timing changes as a result of slack or stretch. Most belts require that you add in a degree or two when setting them up to allow for belt stretch. Timing chains will get slack, and without a tensioner system, it will affect timing. Now, that being said, ANY of the above drives will get the job done. It all depends on your goals, budget, and how much you're willing to work on your stuff. I'm a huge advocate for gear drives, if you haven't noticed. There is a reason fuel cars run them, diesels run them, and many other applications. I run on on my stuff and have never had one issue. I put over 200,000 miles on one in a street motor I had years ago and it went on a bracket engine after that....my current build is using one, and anything I do for someone else I'll recommend one, but what they get will be up to them, as it's their stuff and their money. No matter how you look at things though, each will have advantages over the other and you'll choose based on what you want... Some combos HAVE to run a belt because of raised cam or other things, and there isn't anything else made that will fit...But just because they are the most popular doesn't always mean they are the best...dampers are the same way.............

1 - 19 of 19 Posts