Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ron's billet gear pump. Aeromotive A1000, 13101 regulator.
I run at 100 psi base and it goes to 110 psi under boost.
This combo worked flawlessly last season. Rock solid fuel pressure.
This year, as soon as I hit the throttle to put it on the two step, the pressure dips from 100 down to 35 briefly. I get how this can happen when the demand increases greatly and suddenly. But last year the dip was hardly noticeable on the data. This year it is greatly affecting my ability to quickly get the rpm and boost up.
Trying to see where to look. Anything typically go wrong with the regulators? (methanol). Billet pumps have been reliable for me in other applications, but anything that can and does go wrong with those?

·
Registered
5,756 Posts
I use the more common Aeromotive 13113 regulator and have never heard of a single issue with them. One of mine has been on the car for over 10yrs. I would check the pump clearances. I know you spin that thing pretty hard, what is the pump speed at peak engine rpm?? I would check out the regulator good too but it would be more like a sticking problem rather than wear. Waterman rates their pumps at 4000rpm nominal speed but say its OK to go as high as 5000rpm on short duration applications. Just remember wear occurs at the square of speed, meaning (easy math) 2X the rpm is 4X the wear rate. Also check pulley keys, set screws etc that a drive pulley isn't slipping on the shaft momentarily when you snap the throttle open. If its a Gilmer style belt they are much more prone to jump teeth on initial load increase. The radius tooth belts seem to be more reliable. Hope this helps.

Reactions: Wabash Cannonball

·
Registered
7,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I use the more common Aeromotive 13113 regulator and have never heard of a single issue with them. One of mine has been on the car for over 10yrs. I would check the pump clearances. I know you spin that thing pretty hard, what is the pump speed at peak engine rpm?? I would check out the regulator good too but it would be more like a sticking problem rather than wear. Waterman rates their pumps at 4000rpm nominal speed but say its OK to go as high as 5000rpm on short duration applications. Just remember wear occurs at the square of speed, meaning (easy math) 2X the rpm is 4X the wear rate. Also check pulley keys, set screws etc that a drive pulley isn't slipping on the shaft momentarily when you snap the throttle open. If its a Gilmer style belt they are much more prone to jump teeth on initial load increase. The radius tooth belts seem to be more reliable. Hope this helps.
The only reason I didn't go for the donkey dong style is the size. Really tough area to buy a little extra room on this car. But the larger size may buy better control and reliability. Plus, it is rated closer to the pressure I am using it at. 4050 for the pump speed. I thought I heard something up front but determined it was the vacuum pump at idle. But checking the pump, as well as the key etc is a good idea that I am taking. It is a gilmer style. I have trouble imagining it jumping teeth, but if you have experienced it, it's obviously possible. It certainly helps. Thank you.

·
Registered
5,756 Posts
I have seen both style belts experience a harmonic wave on the dyno for lack of a better description. The drive side under tension gets 100% of the load and all the slack let's the other side of the belt do anything it wants including some whiping action that can jump teeth or throw the belt. Not my #1 pick for whats happening but still good info to avoid problems.

·
Registered
7,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good to know. The bigger regulator may be in my future as well. Will see what I find here. Thank you!

·
Registered
7,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
All seems well with the pump. I take my pressure reading on the return, and asides from the dip at low engine speed when the injectors open, it is rock solid at 110 psi on the return. So volume isn't an issue. I'm suspecting the regulator now. The pump felt just like new. Pulley fine. Belt had no signs of skip.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
The 13101 has a pretty small bypass port, especially for alcohol.
I got my brother the 13134 with the 5/16" bypass port and it's a lot happier, especially when letting off at the big end, using an Aeromotive 11005 pump.
If you need more ports, the 13133 could work and it has a larger bypass port.
It also comes with 2 spring sets for running your 100psi.

·
Registered
7,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The 13101 has a pretty small bypass port, especially for alcohol.
I got my brother the 13134 with the 5/16" bypass port and it's a lot happier, especially when letting off at the big end, using an Aeromotive 11005 pump.
If you need more ports, the 13133 could work and it has a larger bypass port.
It also comes with 2 spring sets for running your 100psi.
Good to know on that one too. Takes less room than the tall one. What fails on these regulators that can make them act weird? The one I have has actually done a great job even though it's not intended for these pressures. I may be asking a lot from it. I have a loose converter in this, and when you wing the throttle open suddenly, all the enrichment comes in, and it is probably tough to recover quickly.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts