Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. New to manual trans cars but I have my first one and am trying to keep the third pedal. I recently bought a '67 Chevelle that has a near stock 327 and an M20. Id eventually like to swap in a 427 sbc from a previous car I had and am starting to shop for parts. I have found a Lakewood bellhousing in my local Craigslist for $175. It's Lakewood part #15000 and is SFI 6.1 cert. Is this a good choice for a bellhousing? It fits stock Muncies, and for that reason could I expect it to work with a G101A if i make that upgrade? What are you guys using? Thanks in advance for any help or advice.

-Mike

·
Registered
7,283 Posts
Should work, Quick time is lighter more expensive. Invest in a proper flywheel. Certification expires every couple of years can't be recertified if it's more than 10 years old.---Trevor

·
T5 & T56 building fool
25,285 Posts
Quicktime is now owned by Prestolite Performance who also owns the Lakewood group as well. Quicktime is more expensive but a far better designed product.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
I like the old Lakewoods. Depending on what you are going to do with it, the certification is likely a moot point and don't sweat it. Unless you plan on going to an NHRA event where the tech guy is going to roll under and look then typically your local track won't even care. Not sure about the 10 yr lifespan on recert? I'm thinking as long as it is unhurt, Tim Hyatt can likely recert it(not positive, but worth checking). Maybe Lakewood won't(cause they want to sell you a NEW one for $500).

·
Reality Rules
2,951 Posts
If it does not have the block plate with it...GET ONE.

Always run a block plate.

And the Lakewood is fine.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks fellas for the replys. For now I may go ahead and pick this up and at least use it as a safety measure with my existing M20 while attempting to go 12s or so. It does have a block plate with it. What is the purpose or function of the block plate? Sorry but this is all new stuff to me.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
The block plate will have additional holes around it so that it can be physically bolted together with the bellhousing(besides the 6 bolts that hold everything to the block). This keeps everything contained in the event of an explosion. Even if the whole assembly breaks off the block, the two pieces stay together to contain the spinning parts.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts