Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tim Huspen had the one Procharger supplies with its F2s come off years ago during a pass. I had one come off my D2R during a pass as well. This was after I had tightened the hose clamp down to the point that I was afraid it would crush the inlet on the blower or strip the hose clamp.

I attributed this to the harmonics and just left it off. Now I have a F2 and am worried about the same problem happening to my DMC inlet. Thoughts/Experiences? Thanks guys.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
I've never had a problem with mine.

·
Procharged SBC Enthusiast
5,150 Posts
Friend lost one off his F1x last month and it was on tight with a clamp . We were surprised that it was gone after the pass ! It apparently was not a fluke after seeing this thread .

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
Seen them pop off on the dyno a few times. Never had one pop off myself but it has come close once or twice. Its due to reversion......

I've been using a heavy duty worm gear type hose clamp but just switched to a t-bolt clamp btw.

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
Slip it on with a bit of silicone, then tighten it down..

I would think the film of rubber would dampen any vibrations that are making it walk off..

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
Yes, reversion. The inlet doesn't always just 'suck', sometimes it blows. lol. Believe it or not, there are actually air pulses going out of the blower inlet while under boost. Apparently they can get pretty strong. Watch Steve's latest video on the F3-136 testing, at the end you can see the bell fly off.

Silicone would help. I usually use some antiseize because you can see where the vibration has tried to weld the bell to the blower. That was just from my sheetmetal bell that weighs only a few ounces too.

There's certainly some crazy dynamics going on at the inlet of a blower!

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
green lockite,, don't tighten the clamp very tight as it slightly warps the compressor housing. anymore we drill tap and countersink for a couple flat head 10-32 screws then put the clamp over the screw heads,, the screws are toots-rolled sutch they are flush with the I.D.

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
Yes, reversion. The inlet doesn't always just 'suck', sometimes it blows. lol. Believe it or not, there are actually air pulses going out of the blower inlet while under boost.
I noticed that when testing my water injection setup that sprays into the turbo..

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
Tim Huspen had the one Procharger supplies with its F2s come off years ago during a pass. I had one come off my D2R during a pass as well. This was after I had tightened the hose clamp down to the point that I was afraid it would crush the inlet on the blower or strip the hose clamp.

I attributed this to the harmonics and just left it off. Now I have a F2 and am worried about the same problem happening to my DMC inlet. Thoughts/Experiences? Thanks guys.
Same this happened to me with a worm-gear clamp. Switched to a t-bolt clamp. No issues since.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts

·
Registered
25,667 Posts
Lol had the pulley on the supercharger come off going down the track. F3 at 8700 engine rpm. A big mess that was..

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
WOW! Great feedback and interesting discussion. I like the idea of a couple of sheetmetal screws and a t-clamp.... Thanks.

·
Procharged SBC Enthusiast
5,150 Posts

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
I had the problem till I had two blow off valves. I thought it was happening most when I would shut off at the end of the track.

·
Registered
51 Posts
green lockite,, don't tighten the clamp very tight as it slightly warps the compressor housing. anymore we drill tap and countersink for a couple flat head 10-32 screws then put the clamp over the screw heads,, the screws are toots-rolled sutch they are flush with the I.D.
I lost quite a few of them until I started doing this...

·
Registered
7,854 Posts

Have a pic? Not sure I quite follow....You're screwing into the flange on the compressor housing then using the clamp just to basically keep the screws from backing out?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts