Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
All smiles and sunshine
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did two tonight, they came out amazing.

There are videos all over YouTube about how to do them. I'll just explain the dry rub ingredients.

1/4 cup kosher salt/ or sea salt
1/4 cup Paprika
1/4 cup dark brown sugar
2 tablespoons fresh ground black pepper
(mix all together in a large bowl).

Use one or two 3-4 lb whole fryer chickens, (depending on your grill size) wash it first and dry it with paper towels. Put the rub under the skin on the breast and back sides. Then apply the rub to the entire chicken on the inside cavities and the outside.

Now for the best part: the beer can.

For each chicken, use 1/2 of a 12 oz. beer (can only) and shove the beer can up the bird's ass. Let the can and the bird's two legs form a tri-pod. Line the coals up on one side of the grill, allowing for the bird(s) to cook away from the heat source (indirect).

The grill should be 375 degrees before putting the chicken on. Slow cook for 1 hour to 1.5 hours.

The chicken is done when the temp. reaches 170 degrees in the thigh.

Best chicken ever.

·
Registered
15,547 Posts
Beer in the can, Garlic salt and pepper.... Cook it low and slow...
Doesn't get much better than that for natural flavor... The simpler, the better...
ChickenDawg

·
Grizzly
45,815 Posts
i put bbq sauce in the beer can just drink about 1/4 of it...it will come out the neck slow.. along with coating the out side the bird with cajun sesoaning

·
Misanthropist
3,142 Posts
So the beer can is shoved up the chicken's ass right-side-up, half filled with beer?? I'm kinda confused here.... :confused: {maybe some pics??}

·
Grizzly
45,815 Posts
So the beer can is shoved up the chicken's ass right-side-up, half filled with beer?? I'm kinda confused here.... :confused: {maybe some pics??}
Yes up the ass standing up 3/4 full can of beer with the top cut off and add bbq to fill the rest of the can cook at 225 for 3 hours and dont even bother it

·
Misanthropist
3,142 Posts
Awesome! This recipe sounds incredible! Makin' me hungry already!! :)

·
Misanthropist
3,142 Posts
Lastly.......what kind of grill? (or oven?)

Charcoal BBQ grill or propane grill (or does it even matter?).

Just seems it might be hard to regulate the temperature of a outdoor grill (charcoal or propane)

·
Registered
6,554 Posts
Charcoal all the way. Lump charcoal over briquettes is even better. Its not too bad to regulate the temp. Just keep the coals around the perimeter or to one side of the grill to keep the chicken off of the direct heat. I dont really worry so much about the grill temp as long as its hot. Keep an eye that nothings getting burned and use a meat thermometer in the center of the breast to see when its done.

Best damn chicken youll eat!

Ive done a buffalo beer butt chicken. Rub that bitch with wing sauce and then stuff blue cheese crumbles underneath the skin....

·
Misanthropist
3,142 Posts
I don't have a charcoal grill...so I guess I'll have to figure out how to make it work with my propane grill :)

Sounds delectable!!

·
Grizzly
45,815 Posts
I don't have a charcoal grill...so I guess I'll have to figure out how to make it work with my propane grill :)

Sounds delectable!!
I use propane..but make sure it will close all the way- you might have to remove the top rack..plus it will flame up if any hits the fire..i use a throw away alum cake pan to avoid this

·
Misanthropist
3,142 Posts
Pro-Stock John: What is that, some kinda stand they are propped up on too?? (is that the weber chicken butt thing you said?)

·
All smiles and sunshine
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Best chicken I've ever made, fed 4 adults on two chickens and am using the left-over chicken to add to yellow rice for tonight's dinner.

Somebody mentioned using Coca-Cola instead of beer. The reason behind the beer is not to make the chicken taste like beer... it doesn't come out that way. You can't even taste it. The hops and barley actually aid in tenderizing the chicken meat and the vapor keeps it moist.

I'll be doing this a lot more often, it was easy as anything I've ever done, it's all about the prep.

1/4 cup of salt is not too much for the dry rub. The salt helps the skin get crispy!

·
Registered
396 Posts
I have done these many times and its the only way I roast them. Once its on the stand put a peeled onion in the neck of chicken so that it infuse's in the inside of the bird with all off the flavors and makes the bird juicy all the way through.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts