Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tomorrow my local "you-pick" salvage yard is having a sale. There are a few 4.8 or 5.3 equipped trucks there. I have a 6.0 that needs a set of heads. Ultimately the engine will be turbo'd and of course I am trying to put it together on a budget. I see that I can use the 5.3 heads, but is there any certain casting # or anything that I need to look for? Maybe one works better than the other? Are the pushrods the same between the 5.3 and 6.0? I have the aluminum L76 block and rotating assembly which is the GenIV stuff. I also went ahead and got a set of the Wiseco Junkyard Dog pistons that fit on the stock rods. The engine needed a set of pistons and I splurged a little on those and got them. Other than that, the engine will be all stock.

I have been searching around for some 317 heads, and I have found some. Most of them would need to be shipped to me and would end up costing more than I want to spend on them. The 317 heads I found within driving distance the sellers never contacted me back about meeting up or anything. I can go get a set of heads with the rockers and all for less than $100 tomorrow at the salvage yard.

Unless someone wants to give me a set of heads for free, I don't have many options here and trying to do it on a budget.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
You can use them yes. Compression will be higher than it would with 317's though. i dont know the exact numbers off hand though. As for pushrods they should both be the same.

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
They flow (stock) less than, but not by much, the 317 heads, but have 61cc chambers as opposed to 72cc chambers. They're good for raising compression. In ported form like I'm running, they're a GREAT head.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Tomorrow my local "you-pick" salvage yard is having a sale. There are a few 4.8 or 5.3 equipped trucks there. I have a 6.0 that needs a set of heads. Ultimately the engine will be turbo'd and of course I am trying to put it together on a budget. I see that I can use the 5.3 heads, but is there any certain casting # or anything that I need to look for? Maybe one works better than the other? Are the pushrods the same between the 5.3 and 6.0? I have the aluminum L76 block and rotating assembly which is the GenIV stuff. I also went ahead and got a set of the Wiseco Junkyard Dog pistons that fit on the stock rods. The engine needed a set of pistons and I splurged a little on those and got them. Other than that, the engine will be all stock.

I have been searching around for some 317 heads, and I have found some. Most of them would need to be shipped to me and would end up costing more than I want to spend on them. The 317 heads I found within driving distance the sellers never contacted me back about meeting up or anything. I can go get a set of heads with the rockers and all for less than $100 tomorrow at the salvage yard.

Unless someone wants to give me a set of heads for free, I don't have many options here and trying to do it on a budget.
The 706 castings are the ones to avoid, especially if they have the battery logo, which you will find on top of one of the intake ports. They had issues with cracking and leaking water. Some older 706/862 castings have a recess in the deck on the exhaust side that would require a specific head gasket or it will leak.

I'd run the 5.3L heads until you add the turbo kit. Then just swap out the heads and sell the 5.3L heads to offset the cost of the 317's.

·
Registered
438 Posts
If you are looking for 317 heads, I have a set off of a 2004 6.0 LQ4 with 123,556 miles on them. Complete with valves and springs as pulled from the engine. Dont know what they are worth used but I am not to far from va on the east coast. Just throwin it out there since I dont really need them and they are in fine shape.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I sent you a pm about those 317 heads man!!

Anyone else got any experience, input, or a set of 317 heads for cheap, let me know!!

·
Registered
408 Posts
keep scanning ebay and forums, ive sold a couple sets of 317s for $100-150, unless the car is gonna be running in the next few days just hold off until you find a set cheap

·
Registered
832 Posts
My 6.0 has ported 862 heads on it with 6.0 sized valves. Only just got it on the road so no idea on power numbers or how well it will work.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Car isn't going to be running anytime soon. Just trying to collect parts for it so I can at least assemble the engine. I will keep an eye out for some though. I ended up not going to the local salvage yard today to get any parts.

·
Registered
832 Posts
From what I've read 862 heads on a 6.0 should be about 10.7:1 with stock head gaskets. Would make a great turbo setup with E85.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Whats wrong with the heads you have now on the L76? Or do you only have the shortblock with no heads?

·
Registered
215 Posts
tea 5.3 heads on my 408 stroker been 5.64 in 1/8th on 300 shot...they for sale now going tfs 245

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Whats wrong with the heads you have now on the L76? Or do you only have the shortblock with no heads?
Engine was in a fire and it seems majority of the fire/heat was up on top of engine at the heads. Was advised to get a new set of heads because of a few things that were obvious problems with those heads. I would like to use them because they are some of the better flowing stock heads, but they have probably been annealed and the aluminum has softened. This is coming from a couple reputable engine shops.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Got a set of complete 862 heads today with the valvecovers, coils, and some other stuff for fairly cheap. Less than $150, and I needed all of that stuff for my build.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts