Yellow Bullet Forums banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
did you use the comp retainers and locks or? My LS is 8mm, so i had to get creative for locks and make my own retainers
I used the Comp tool steel retainers with PAC Racing locks.

It's what I needed with the 5/16" and 7mm valve stem combination used in these heads.

Seals were also fun to track down.

Just another science project. :LOL::ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
I'm assuming that is a hydraulic roller???
150lbs @ 2.00"630lbs @ 1.20"1.115"600lb/in1.442".646"

Are there similar springs that will work well with a decently fast 0.700" solid roller?
Mine is also over .800 lift solid roller with the 7245
Ti valves
I know that setup has been spun to well over 9000 on a spintron and looked fantastic

·
Registered
25,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I'm curious about the open rating for the conical springs in their catalog.

The single springs are rated about .050 from bind and the dual is .085 from bind.
Is this a recommendation from Comp?

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
Man those Higgins have been getting good power on pump fuel, nice job.
Thanks but I just did the camshaft and valvetrain package. The Higgins gang did one hell of a job with those "bad-ass" heads and intake manifold and Paul at PK Machine in Massachusetts did the hard work, machining and assembling this beast. It'll debut at the Midwest Drags...

·
Registered
538 Posts
Thanks but I just did the camshaft and valvetrain package. The Higgins gang did one hell of a job with those "bad-ass" heads and intake manifold and Paul at PK Machine in Massachusetts did the hard work, machining and assembling this beast. It'll debut at the Midwest Drags...
Doc's Notch got 765 rwhp also, by 7700 rpm. Gotta be close to 900 flywheel hp. Very impressive head/intake combo, great to see. I assume they need a specific piston also, don't imagine they are Cleveland valve angles.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Is anyone worried or seeing broken beehives with solid cam set ups
I hear a lot of LS guys shying away from beehives due to breakage

·
Registered
478 Posts
Is anyone worried or seeing broken beehives with solid cam set ups
I hear a lot of LS guys shying away from beehives due to breakage
I read the LS forums and saw that .
A mate just had a PAC beehive break on his hyd roller motor . Street/strip deal , broke going up Pacific Hwy . He is going dual springs now . This is a fairly high $ 409/540 chev . Done less than 5000klm I would imagine .

Tex

·
Registered
269 Posts
I think a lot of the beehive breakage in LS's is due to wrong application or bad set-up. I don't think the design is intrinsically bad. There is a bunch of "false safety" mumbo jumbo on dual springs on the LS forums, also. If the set-up/application is bad, it'll break either way.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
I used the Comp tool steel retainers with PAC Racing locks.

It's what I needed with the 5/16" and 7mm valve stem combination used in these heads.

Seals were also fun to track down.

Just another science project. :LOL::ROFLMAO:
Pretty sure we ended up with Ti reatainers and locks on there. I remember we were gonna try the tool steel stuff but the Ti stuff had a nicer fit to it.

Doc's Notch got 765 rwhp also, by 7700 rpm. Gotta be close to 900 flywheel hp. Very impressive head/intake combo, great to see. I assume they need a specific piston also, don't imagine they are Cleveland valve angles.
That is my setup Ed is talking about. They did require a custom piston. I have probably around 100 street miles on the car, a bunch of dyno time and 2 aborted passes at the track. I checked the springs recently when i lashed the valves and everything is looking good. Really happy so far. I will be putting around 900 miles on everything the first week of June at the Midwest drags going from Summit Motorsports park to Edgewater Raceway to Indy and back to Summit. Really looking forward to seeing what the combination can do if i can stay in the throttle for more than 2 gears.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Pretty sure we ended up with Ti reatainers and locks on there. I remember we were gonna try the tool steel stuff but the Ti stuff had a nicer fit to it.

That is my setup Ed is talking about. They did require a custom piston. I have probably around 100 street miles on the car, a bunch of dyno time and 2 aborted passes at the track. I checked the springs recently when i lashed the valves and everything is looking good. Really happy so far. I will be putting around 900 miles on everything the first week of June at the Midwest drags going from Summit Motorsports park to Edgewater Raceway to Indy and back to Summit. Really looking forward to seeing what the combination can do if i can stay in the throttle for more than 2 gears.
Yeah, I put it together afterwards, lol. Great to here it's working good. Is it hooking up on launch, what kind of 60'. What tranny are you using

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Memory faded as we tried so many pieces. ;)
You arent getting any younger either. ?

Yeah, I put it together afterwards, lol. Great to here it's working good. Is it hooking up on launch, what kind of 60'. What tranny are you using
The car has a Liberty LSC5100 trans.

It went 1.302 sixty foot on the first pass and I really wasnt trying to get after it. I dont want to bog this post down so I am putting together a little update video for my build thread.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Doc I Luv your engine! It should be everyone's goal for a DD....??

Not just a drag wk. Got a new outlook ? at things after getting fucked by my EMC winning builder....still got my parts but Was sad...add Compression ?

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Got a call...1 Monkey don't stop Know Show.. you've got this kid.
Dr. Charles Stanley.. LMAO..

21 - 39 of 39 Posts