Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the absolute easiest recipe ever and makes damn good tacos.
Ingredients
2lb Flank steak
1 yellow onion
2 garlic cloves
seasoning
Directions
Rub steak with seasoning, don't be afraid to coat it completely
Chop the onion and garlic
Place 1/2 of the steak on bottom of your crock pot and cover with 1/2 of the onion and garlic
Repeat with remaining steak, onion and garlic
Cook on low for 8 hours
Place on a large platter and shred the steak with 2 forks
Serve on corn tortillas with fresh chopped onion,cilantro and Avocado slices

My spice mix
1 tsp Smoked Oregano
1 tsp Ancho Chili powder
1 tsp Cumino powder
1 tsp Pasillo Chili powder
1/2 tsp Chipotle powder

Everything except the Smoked Oregano I grind myself from dried chilis you can buy at the local Mexican grocery.

If you want to add cheese try Queso Fresco, it's a semi wet fresh cheese that you crumble on top.

I make this the night before and put it in the crock pot before work and dinner is ready when I get home.

Enjoy

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I must have been smoking Oregano.:rolleyes:
There is no Oregano in this.
I meant Smoked Paprika.

·
Registered
15,629 Posts
I must have been smoking Oregano.:rolleyes:
Got any ya want to share? Sounds like it may be pretty good. One of my chef buds gave me some smoked paprika with sea salt seasoning as a X-Mas present. He uses it for a lot of things but I've been using it as a rub for ribs and they come out killer. Sounds like I may have a new use for it.

The beef taco's sound real good. Take a picture so we can taste um too.

Denny

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm too old to learn how to post pics. I let them cook for about 10 hours by accident but they fell apart they were so tender. This is a great way to make tacos for working people. Crock pot Carne Guisada is next. Kind of a stew with a few small pieces of potatos and of course served with tortillas. This can also be made green with poblano chilis.

·
Registered
15,629 Posts
I'm too old to learn how to post pics. I let them cook for about 10 hours by accident but they fell apart they were so tender. This is a great way to make tacos for working people. Crock pot Carne Guisada is next. Kind of a stew with a few small pieces of potatos and of course served with tortillas. This can also be made green with poblano chilis.

Trust me, no computer scientist by any means. I highly doubt anyone is going to ask me to shoot a computer to the moon any time soon. Seriously, go to Photobucket and register. It's free but slow as hell because of all the commercials. Take a digital picture and transfer it onto your desktop. Open Photobucket and reduce it to about half of your screen on the opposite side from the picture so you can see it. Drag the picture you want to post over to Photobucket. It will automatically upload. At the bottom or to the right of the picture there are four different share links. Copy the IMG link and paste it into your post..........

like this:

Denny

·
الكتاب ا
6,697 Posts
Man that's a nice Impala Denny.

And Len, you must be from South Texas... what with the Carnitas Tacos and Carne Guisada references. Orale!

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
DFW area but i travel to the valley often. In my next life I'll be a fat Mexican and damn happy about it.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Way more flavor from fresh ground spices and you can control the amount of salt used. Most commercially available spices have added salt and MSG. I use a cheap small coffee grinder for mine. There is a place in Fort Worth called Pendery that has every dried chili you could want if you can't find them locally.

·
الكتاب ا
6,697 Posts
Len281 said:
DFW area but i travel to the valley often. In my next life I'll be a fat Mexican and damn happy about it.
Cool. I lived in the Valley for many years.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Watauga. I think that's an old Indian word for dry water hole. Since you're close we need to meet at a little taco dive called GGuajardo ' s near the Stock yards. Authentic tacos, they only take cash and I guarantee we'll be the only gringos there.

·
Registered
15,629 Posts
Watauga. I think that's an old Indian word for dry water hole. Since you're close we need to meet at a little taco dive called GGuajardo ' s near the Stock yards. Authentic tacos, they only take cash and I guarantee we'll be the only gringos there.
Len

My favorite saying: "Watch what ya ask for." Absolutely love hole in the wall restaurants and always up for a good ones. Did a lot of traveling myself and on more than one occasion, I was the only white boy in the place. Just walk in like you own it, and you're good. Frankly, I prefer Ft Worth to Dallas, more of a real downtown entertainment area and more character in general. Ya, I'm up for lunch and I'll even pay. A thank you for the heads-up on a good place to eat.

Today is going to be a good Denny day. Starting to get over my hangover, hit the gym and check out a new Whole Foods market on the corner of 407 and 2499 (about 3 miles from my house). Fight the crowd, suck up some free food and take home some deals. Then over to Market Street. Being a direct competitor to Whole Foods, bet they will have some deals to compete. Yep, today is going to be a good Denny day.

Denny

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Let me know when you want to do the Dive Tour in Ft Worth, I'm all in.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Carnitas is pork. Carne Asada is beef.
Not trying to be a smart ass just trying to be clear about what you are making.
I love both and make them all the time.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Carnitas is pork. Carne Asada is beef.
Not trying to be a smart ass just trying to be clear about what you are making.
I love both and make them all the time.
Yes and no.
I am sure there is a native Spanish speaker here to correct me, but after making the same statement at one of my favorite Mexican joints I was told that Carnitas is "little meats" and can be applied to both.

The Carnitas that I make are pork.

Carne Asada is a different dish entirely.
Carne is meat.
Asada is grilled.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Carnita does mean little meat. I have eaten these in Mexico made from beef and pork. I am by no means an expert on food or Mexico but I have traveled there extensively over the past 40 years and the best thing I learned was if you eat something you like ask what it is and how it is made. Then run home and make it until you get it right. On another note NEVER answer yes to the following question.You want some Duck sausage?

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I don't know, I would try duck sausage.
A place down the street does duck wings and they are pretty tasty.
It's an old cookout joke.
Would yo like some Duck sausage?
Yes.
Well duck down here and get some.
I said it was an old joke not a funny joke.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts