Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Drove the car to work the other day..drove fine all the way there.

On the way back sounded like I had an exhaust leak got louder as I got closer to home, turned out the #5 exhaust pushrod had been beating the hell out of the adjuster on the rocker. Pulled both rockers and the intake side looks like it wasn't getting much oil as it looks scored up but the lash was in spec.

The adjuster didn't seem loose so I don't believe it came loose. Haven't got any further than that..I am thinking it is possibly a lifter. Car has good oil pressure and the rest of the rockers and pushrods I pulled look fine.

I am at the very least going to have to replace the adjuster and pushrod, but would like some more insight as to what possibly went wrong.

Info on the motor, its sbf 351 based windsor with a bennet solid roller. T&D shaft rockers, comp lifters.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The lifters have about 20 passes on them..

The #5 intake side almost looks like it is not getting oil the way it is wearing, yet there were no restrictions in the pushrod itself.

·
On the flow bench
13,722 Posts
Drove the car to work the other day..drove fine all the way there.

On the way back sounded like I had an exhaust leak got louder as I got closer to home, turned out the #5 exhaust pushrod had been beating the hell out of the adjuster on the rocker. Pulled both rockers and the intake side looks like it wasn't getting much oil as it looks scored up but the lash was in spec.

The adjuster didn't seem loose so I don't believe it came loose. Haven't got any further than that..I am thinking it is possibly a lifter. Car has good oil pressure and the rest of the rockers and pushrods I pulled look fine.

I am at the very least going to have to replace the adjuster and pushrod, but would like some more insight as to what possibly went wrong.

Info on the motor, its sbf 351 based windsor with a bennet solid roller. T&D shaft rockers, comp lifters.
this a new / fresh engine , that u changed the lifter in ?

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
I know the T&D stuff will cut oil if it is run in to much but thats oil only to trunnion and spring coolers if the ones you have that option. Can i ask what lift and B/C the cam is . I have seen in a short deck ford that with a lot of lift without a grove in the lifters it can cut alot of oil . A buddy of mines car did this he had like .900 lift not sure if it would have to be that much for the issue to show its self.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
this a new / fresh engine , that u changed the lifter in ?
The rotating assembly is fresh. Lifters have about 20 passes on them.

Not sure on the exact cam specs off the top of my head. I will have the check the cam card when I get home.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What cylinder? I had this happen on the number 5 cylinder and it turned out to be an oiling issue. Had to grind a notch in the lifter band so more oil supply was available
#5..lol

That's what it appears to me as the #5 intake pushrod looks like it wasn't getting oil and starting to do the same thing the exhaust side did.

·
Registered
397 Posts
What cylinder? I had this happen on the number 5 cylinder and it turned out to be an oiling issue. Had to grind a notch in the lifter band so more oil supply was available
I've seen this happen on as little as .660 total lift. Of course it depends on how small the base circle is. Same for me on having to grind a relief on the oil band.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've seen this happen on as little as .660 total lift. Of course it depends on how small the base circle is. Same for me on having to grind a relief on the oil band.

Why did it do this only on the #5 cylinder though? Every other set of rockers I pulled seemed to be well lubricated even after sitting for a day.

·
Registered
397 Posts
You mentioned that your cam was a Bennett grind. Give him a call and he should be able to set you up on exactly how much to grind. Most of the comp lifters he sells have the oil band clearanced by him.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts