Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, just got all my parts back for my 416CI LS build.

LQ9 block bored to 4.065
Manley platinum series forged pistons
Dragonslayer 4" crank
eagle 6.125 rods

Here is the problem. I bought the crank used, and it was supposed to be out of a low mile 418 that the guy was putting a 4.125 stroke crank into and this crank was in excellent condition etc.

I got the crank, had everything balanced, checked for cracks etc and all is well.

TOday I bust out the mic. and start checking clearences on the mains and rods. ANd here is were I got pissed. Turns out the mains are turned .020 and the rods .030... I SHOULD have checked this immeadiatley upon arrival of the crank and like an idiot I didn't.

For the mains im ok, I can just get .020 underside bearings and be sitting at .0028 clearance. Pretty decent

The rods, not so much. With an .030 undersize bearing I will be sitting and .0015 clearance, and I need more clearance. Ideally order up some .029 undersize bearings. I cant find any .029 bearings and im at a loss. WHat are my options? I don't think a crank can be turned .0001 can it? consistently?

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
did you try calling the shop that did the balancing? I would think it could be polished that much

·
Registered
207 Posts
What do the rods measure w/o the bearing? Most new rods will be at the low side to a couple tenths under. You can have your rods honed to mid to high spec and gain your clearance. Not the most ideal way to do it, but it is an option.
Trying to grind the rod pins .001 can be done but it will not be easy. The hard part is getting the pin indicated perfect

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks! That's what I wound up doing, having the rods taken to the mid/high side. Had the crank machine polished before I checked the clearence last time so I don't want to do it again :/

1 - 4 of 4 Posts