Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are bead locks only good for making sure the tire is sealed to the rim? Just for looks? Keep side walls stiffer making tires have longer life? Helping smaller tire cars more stable on the big end?

·
Registered
15,065 Posts
Are bead locks only good for making sure the tire is sealed to the rim? Just for looks? Keep side walls stiffer making tires have longer life? Helping smaller tire cars more stable on the big end?
Awesome.....you answered your own queston!!!:smt082

·
First round fodder...
3,602 Posts
keep the tire frpm spinning on the bead, screws only do so much.........but all the things you mentioned are added benefits.......

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
SUPERPROJOE, I was hoping I did answer my own question but I wontd to make sure all the info I gather about them was correct!! I just bought some for my car but I only got the single my back spacing wouldn't like me get the doubles

·
I kill parts
10,368 Posts
You provided two answers, Casey expounded on sidewall life thought, and Amanda provided a third(probably most important). - Then there's that pesky little thing known as rules, that require them above certain speeds for their added safety due to those reasons.

·
Registered
8,737 Posts
Then there's that pesky little thing known as rules, that require them above certain speeds for their added safety due to those reasons.
Which makes no sense! Most TAFC dont run bead locks but PS cars have to run them. Doesn't add up to me.:confused:

·
TURBOBULLET.COM BITCHES!
6,046 Posts
What's the rule as to when you have to have them???? I'm runnin mid 7's at 3500 lbs with screws....

·
Registered
4,207 Posts
And, anytime you run a wheel wider than your tire...they do try to come off the bead seat at high speed....
Been there done that...bad scary

·
cynic/realist
15,961 Posts
For those who don't need them, they also add unsprung weight.....slowing ya down.

·
Registered
5,032 Posts
D all of the above.

·
I kill parts
10,368 Posts
Which makes no sense! Most TAFC dont run bead locks but PS cars have to run them. Doesn't add up to me.:confused:
They run liners, which have 30+ psi in them thus negating bead problems. Look closer at them and you'll notice the dual valve stems.

Liners require specific wheels too and I believe the 16" top alky wheels are the only ones made; some pro-mod teams are switching to them as well, less rotating weight than the bead-locks.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts