Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
FHRITP
50,870 Posts
I was standing by a service rig a few years ago, up by the engine. The crew was laying down pipe, so every connection the operator would rev the engine full throttle to run the power tongs. Fuckin fan went off like a bomb! Shot plastic blades every where, somehow the shrapnel missed me entirely, but blew threw the shroud, rad , and air to air. Pieces of plastic straight through aluminum!

·
Registered
28,611 Posts
That happened a few hours away from the home 20. Very sad ! RIP Greasy Bro

·
Registered
515 Posts
Dang that sucks. The worst thing I have happened was got into a golf cart, turned the key on and the battery exploded. That was quite loud inside the storage building.

·
Vagina Miner
1,771 Posts
I've always thought flexlite fans were dangerous. I was thinking more about how easily they would take off a finger though. Having one come apart like that is a freak accident.

·
Duct Tape and WD-40
3,755 Posts
i9 had a close call once with a old ass clutch style fan, I was adjusting the carb and the damn thing shot right into the radiator. Thankfully, the plastic shroud somehow kept it from hitting me.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Back in HS I had one of those steel hub, fiberglass blade fans on my car, guess I was lucky it never came apart.

·
Registered
6,315 Posts
Saw fan damage on a mustang, ruined the hood, radiator, hoses and cut through the trans cooling lines

It was a shit flex fan. A bad fan can cost you 25-35 H.P.

·
Registered
16,050 Posts
I've seen a few come apart over the years

·
Ass, Gas or Grass
17,202 Posts
I bought a stock 454 out of a wrecked 77 one ton Chevy and put it in a 79 shortbed 4x4. Got it all together and running, was standin with my kness on the radiator support, reached over and wacked the throttle and the fan came off and hit my elbow and broke it. I damn near passed out! Got down and shut the truck off and went in the house to get the ol lady to take me to the ER. Here the waterpump shaft mustve got hit in the wreck and it was cracked. When the shaft broke, the hub, pulley, heavy clutch fan and all came apart, walked right out of the belt and went straight up in a hurry!

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
A buddy of mine in high school had a Trans Am. Going down the road, the water pump shaft broke, and the stock steel fan cut a huge gash up through the hood. Phucked up his hoses, radiator, and the hood. Scary shit!!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts