Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for opinions on intake for my new motor.. Motor being built legal for X275 but also to play in local stuff where I can use multiple kits and lighter weight. Either way I will sticking with a cast intake and have to be able to run good with a single carb.

Options:

1: TFS A460 tunnel ram with single carb top plate

2: TFS A460 single plane intake

For X275 I will be using one big system progressed and split with single carb. But OL275 isnt out of the question where I could run multiple kits and 2 carbs. Around the house I will be running multiple kits and I like the option of the tunnel ram for being able to put on the 2 carb top plate and go racing.. Basically I want yalls opinion on the tunnel ram.. Will it preform as good as single plane with a single carb? Worse? Better? Will 2 carbs show much benefit?

I guess Im just concerned of fuel distribution with the tunnel ram and single carb.. If I decided to go EFI and distibution wasnt an issue atall.. which intake would be better?

·
Registered
976 Posts
if you go with a tunnel ram go with a single carb, too much problems with chasing jet sizes when air changes etc, when we change our 514 to a 557 we found it actually ran better with the single plane carb 1150 cfm then it did when the tunnel ram, and when we did a 598 for a friend in his top dragster the tunnel ram made more power on the dyno with the two carbs but et and mph wise it ran the same as with a single carb. if it was my motor i would go with the TFS A460 single plane intake and a 1150cfm maybe a 1050 (depending on your cubic inch) and put the guns on it

·
6,384 Posts
just my .02, depends on the combo. If you can afford to go big bore, little stroke, titanium valves, 1"+ lift cam and spin it to 8500+ and gear it enough to stay above 7500...the tunnel ram.

If you've gotta make sacrifices and go stainless valve, standard cam journal, glide etc...use the torque to your advantage gear it low and use the single plane..

I wish I had considered the tunnel ram a little more on my deal honestly.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
if you go with a tunnel ram go with a single carb, too much problems with chasing jet sizes when air changes etc, when we change our 514 to a 557 we found it actually ran better with the single plane carb 1150 cfm then it did when the tunnel ram, and when we did a 598 for a friend in his top dragster the tunnel ram made more power on the dyno with the two carbs but et and mph wise it ran the same as with a single carb. if it was my motor i would go with the TFS A460 single plane intake and a 1150cfm maybe a 1050 (depending on your cubic inch) and put the guns on it

Carb size is way too small.. i had a 1250 on my last motor and it was no where near what this motor is going to be. Picked up big time going from the 1050 to 1250.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
just my .02, depends on the combo. If you can afford to go big bore, little stroke, titanium valves, 1"+ lift cam and spin it to 8500+ and gear it enough to stay above 7500...the tunnel ram.

If you've gotta make sacrifices and go stainless valve, standard cam journal, glide etc...use the torque to your advantage gear it low and use the single plane..

I wish I had considered the tunnel ram a little more on my deal honestly.
Im deff not going for the high rpm deal.. Motor is still in the planning stages right now.. Ive got the block and few other parts but yet to get any rotating parts.. so Ive got options.. Im strongly considering going 632" or even bigger already.. Ill only race the big X275 stuff twice a year and OL275 is just as easy to race then.. But no matter what.. It wont be 1" cam type stuff.. Just a good nice motor.. Ti valves, shaft rockers, and prob try and keep it under 7500-8000

·
6,384 Posts
Im deff not going for the high rpm deal.. Motor is still in the planning stages right now.. Ive got the block and few other parts but yet to get any rotating parts.. so Ive got options.. Im strongly considering going 632" or even bigger already.. Ill only race the big X275 stuff twice a year and OL275 is just as easy to race then.. But no matter what.. It wont be 1" cam type stuff.. Just a good nice motor.. Ti valves, shaft rockers, and prob try and keep it under 7500-8000
makes sense, the tunnel ram is a cool piece, im just not sure its real practical without the parts it needs around it.

IMO, it would be cool to put 2 carbs on it and do the outlaw deal. I wish it was more popular up this way so that our other motor had a good place to compete.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Im also curious as to the actual reason the tunnel ram wont work as well.. I can figure its pretty big and needs rpms to get the velocity right.. but couldnt you do some work to it like some filling, even baffles or whatever that would remedy the issues.. Youd have to think that with enough time and money spent on it.. the end result would be better than the single plane and/or work great

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
All we used last year was a 1050- just food for thought.

And just curious why you would want to bounce back and forth between a single kit then gk to multiple. Just figure the more time you spend with one way or the other the more you learn to go faster and don't waste hits retuning, trying to make it 60ft etc. especially if you're using same pph nitrous.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
All we used last year was a 1050- just food for thought.

And just curious why you would want to bounce back and forth between a single kit then gk to multiple. Just figure the more time you spend with one way or the other the more you learn to go faster and don't waste hits retuning, trying to make it 60ft etc. especially if you're using same pph nitrous.

No matter how many kits it is.. It will be learning how to go 60ft again at the tracks around the house versus Valdosta.. Around the house, i feel the best option is multiple small kits banked.. Main thing is wanting to have the options to do either or.. Im sure Ill find the "best option" for both and stick with that.. but I want the options either way. Around the house, 2500lb, 29x10.5, less than ideal tracks half the time, and let her eat.. twice a year when valdosta comes around.. put some weight in, put in the big single tune up, single carb.. and go race.. not really to win but just to race with you guys.. honestly tho.. Im pretty sure ill end up staying with multi kits and just racing OL275 with valdosta comes around tho.. basically because of the exact thing we're talking about.. staying close to what Ive already been doing.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
Ten four

Keep us posted on what you decide!

Hoping for ours to get its first breath soon!

·
RED ROCKET
8,630 Posts
i would stay single..i swapped to tunnel ram on my 632 and it didnt pick up on the nitrous...runs better on the motor but no classes hardley race n/a anymore....i think it because the more juice you turn on the less your actually pulling throught the carbs..

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
My thing is... You see these sbnos cars picking up with tunnel ram and dual carbs with lots smaller engines.. No matter what youve seen the single plane/carb setup do.. cant help but think the dual carb/tunnel ram would pickup on a bbnos
No matter what you've seen it do? So if it runs just as fast as a sheet metal and two carbs it's all just make pretend?

·
Registered
976 Posts
IMO i feel the tunnel rams/sheet metal intakes a useless unless your running a class that is highly competitive like pro stock or comp where you need that extra 2 or 3 hp. it was even said in an article talking to the guys at wilson manifolds i read that. ill see if i can find it again, it has good info and where you would need a tunnel ram and not

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
No matter what you've seen it do? So if it runs just as fast as a sheet metal and two carbs it's all just make pretend?
I just mean comparing it to the sbnos liking it.. lol..

Just thinking out loud.. How does a SBF love 2 dominators and tunnel ram but yet a 632 bbf preform better with a single plane and single carb? lol

Believe me.. If the single plane and single carb will do best and there will be no real benefit of 2 carbs and tunnel ram.. Ill gladly save the money.. lol

·
6,384 Posts
I just mean comparing it to the sbnos liking it.. lol..

Just thinking out loud.. How does a SBF love 2 dominators and tunnel ram but yet a 632 bbf preform better with a single plane and single carb? lol

Believe me.. If the single plane and single carb will do best and there will be no real benefit of 2 carbs and tunnel ram.. Ill gladly save the money.. lol
For me that's easy, distribution. The small block guys benefit so much because they don't have to band aid holes like they do with a single 4.

Just food for thought, in the 4 years we have between my A460 combo and the Thor motor in dads car, neither have ever seen ICT or staggered jets and we have never killed parts because of tune up.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
if it dont make more power with 2 carbs ,and go quicker on your bbf your doing it wrong

im getting ready to dyno another tunnel ram w/ 1 carb,2 carbs,and a sv1, all on the same engine next month

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
just because they dyno more doesnt mean they work or are faster on the track-FACT

1 - 20 of 48 Posts