Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
TEAM CARB
45,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone run them? (Lines going from rear intake to front intake, both sides)

·
Registered
678 Posts
On every big block and small block that I'm involved with. If you think about it simply that the water gets in the back of the block and gets trapped back there. Cannot cross over to each side.

I would use a number 10 line from front to back. Some of the new Eldelbrock intakes already drilled and tapped back there.

You cannot get that water moving back there fast enough. Will drop your temperatures big time and make the rear cylinders happy

·
TEAM CARB
45,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The intake I have is done already. I'm not sure what doing with gauge sensor...

·
All motor wannabe
5,904 Posts
Intake on my motor now has it done. They wouldn't have done it with this motor if it wasn't helping in someway.

·
Mike
7,659 Posts
My manifold has no front cross over,or thermostat. 4 -10 lines to a manifold with a -20 to the radiator. Not running yet, so if it runs too cold maybe drop line size, Heaven forbid it runs hot.LOL

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Do you have to have them front to back to be effective, or is there any benefit to just linking the backs together side to side?

·
Registered
728 Posts
The front to back lines have been around for so long and people route them so many different ways that a lot of engine builders are getting away from the original routing and its purpose. They're more for getting steam out of the engine than anything else since steam rises to the top. Years ago, and some still do, engine builders ran clear crossover lines on the dyno so you could actually see how much steam was in the cooling system. The lines should run from the back of the intake and enter the front of the engine through the sides of the thermostat housing stack (that has the radiator cap on it) that is bolted to the intake since that is the highest point of the cooling system, at least in most cars with low mounted radiators.

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
The front to back lines have been around for so long and people route them so many different ways that a lot of engine builders are getting away from the original routing and its purpose. They're more for getting steam out of the engine than anything else since steam rises to the top. Years ago, and some still do, engine builders ran clear crossover lines on the dyno so you could actually see how much steam was in the cooling system. The lines should run from the back of the intake and enter the front of the engine through the sides of the thermostat housing stack (that has the radiator cap on it) that is bolted to the intake since that is the highest point of the cooling system, at least in most cars with low mounted radiators.
Can you post a picture of that ? I think I know what your talking about .Do they use a spacer where the radiator cap is and that is where the lines to into ?

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
One more question ? Are all the holes tapped ? I know,the two front are .I have an edelbrock 2927. I'm thinking there are two small bosses in the rear of the manifold .I guess just drill and tap with 1/2 pipe tap ?
My car is not here right now,still in the trailer a bit way from me .

·
TEAM CARB
45,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes. 1/2 pipe. My issue is I don't have a place to put my gauge sender. So I have to move at least one line to the expansion tank.

·
Registered
4,620 Posts
I think If I remember correctly someone makes a thermostat housing that sending unit can be threaded into. I may have been dreaming though.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Can you post a picture of that ? I think I know what your talking about .Do they use a spacer where the radiator cap is and that is where the lines to into ?
I don't have a picture, but it's one of those deals you run when the radiator is lower than the engine so you can completely fill the cooling system. It bolts to the intake in place of the thermostat housing and the radiator cap goes on top of it. They're usually about 6 or 8" tall and you just drill and tap a hole in each side. And, yes you have to drill and tap the 2927. But they do cast a small indention showing you where to drill.

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
I don't have a picture, but it's one of those deals you run when the radiator is lower than the engine so you can completely fill the cooling system. It bolts to the intake in place of the thermostat housing and the radiator cap goes on top of it. They're usually about 6 or 8" tall and you just drill and tap a hole in each side. And, yes you have to drill and tap the 2927. But they do cast a small indention showing you where to drill.
Ok ,thanks that's what I was talking about. I understand now .

1 - 20 of 28 Posts