Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Planning a TT big block Chevy build. Very new to turbos overall. My goal would be 1,000-1,200 HP initially and be able to turn it up to 1,500-1,800 HP eventually. Planning on E85 and Holley Dominator EFI. I'm still searching for an engine, but the plan would be finding a complete engine somewhere in the 496-540 cube range with forged rotating assy & aluminum heads. Currently building a 72 Chevelle 25.4 SFI chassis and planning on running 31x18.5 Hoosier QTP tires. Planning on finished car weighing somewhere in the neighborhood of 3,200 lbs. This will be a DragWeek hopeful car, so lots of street time planned. Some general questions I have are (in no particular order):

1) Turbo sizing?
2) Header primary diameters?
3) Intercooler?
4) hot side & cold side diameters?
5) Throttle body size?
6) fuel rail recommendations
7) fuel injector sizing
8) fuel pump recommendation
9) static compression ratio?
10) general cam info

I’m sure I’ll have a ton more questions down the road, thanks in advance

·
Registered
422 Posts
Cubic inches dont matter so much as the internals, preferably 2618 pistons and good rods, what budget are you working with?

·
Registered
308 Posts
I'm thinking of doing the same thing. Thanks for starting this thread. Interested to hear all the different opinions and combinations. Lots of smart people here!

·
Registered
362 Posts
You will likely get a bunch of opinions. We get these calls all the time. We have a wide variety of options that we explore when speaking to customers (tweak combos for their intended use).

If you would like to discuss your project with us, we are willing to help!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You will likely get a bunch of opinions. We get these calls all the time. We have a wide variety of options that we explore when speaking to customers (tweak combos for their intended use).

If you would like to discuss your project with us, we are willing to help!

I really appreciate you offering your help! I have considered calling you guys, but didn't think you would want to take the time to mess with a small fry job! Thanks again

·
Registered
422 Posts
◄SHARK►;46978010 said:
I'm currently looking at this engine, but not too excited about the Gen 6 block. What would you think

http://www.racingjunk.com/Drag-Racing/182608595/BBC-540-pump-gas-drag-racing-motor-8500.html
Pistons, probably wrist pins and cam are wrong in that engine, and its a big chunka money for a OEM block, You could buy a dart block and some cheap heads and you'll still be a few bucks ahead, considering rods and pistons are probably not good for the torque a 540 will put out...

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Pistons, probably wrist pins and cam are wrong in that engine, and its a big chunka money for a OEM block, You could buy a dart block and some cheap heads and you'll still be a few bucks ahead, considering rods and pistons are probably not good for the torque a 540 will put out...
What am I going to want for pistons? Also, I've moved on from this engine, wasn't too hot about the factory block like you said. He had lowered his price, but there were a few other issues that I won't go on about on a public forum.

·
Registered
700 Posts
◄SHARK►;46982522 said:
I really appreciate you offering your help! I have considered calling you guys, but didn't think you would want to take the time to mess with a small fry job! Thanks again
I thought the same thing until I spoke with Alex. He took the time to help and not once did he rush to get off the phone. Because of that I'm using Steve Morris for my new build.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I'm building something like that now. 540cuin with twin borg s488
The guys over at Steve Morris are great to deal with. More then willing to help
Dart Big m
Dart pro2 380 heads
Callies crank
Grp Alum. rods
Steve Morris pistons and rings
Steve Morris Camshaft
You dont need anything super special for that kind of power. Get with SME they will take care of you.
For your power a set of box stock s475 will proubly get you there. and if you ever want more, which you will, you can go all the way to billet 88's with out really changing anything. maybe just some cold side plumbing.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm building something like that now. 540cuin with twin borg s488
The guys over at Steve Morris are great to deal with. More then willing to help
Dart Big m
Dart pro2 380 heads
Callies crank
Grp Alum. rods
Steve Morris pistons and rings
Steve Morris Camshaft
You dont need anything super special for that kind of power. Get with SME they will take care of you.
For your power a set of box stock s475 will proubly get you there. and if you ever want more, which you will, you can go all the way to billet 88's with out really changing anything. maybe just some cold side plumbing.
Great info, thanks!

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Here's the problem with buying something used. It 100% needs the best wrist pins and a piston with the ring pack a good ways down from the crown. Most engines you find won't have these key features. When it comes to a turbo engine a short stroke with the strongest rotating assembly is what you want and big boost will make big power with the right cam/heads/turbo combo. A 509 or 540 is likely the best way to go. 509 to haul as or a 540 to haul your boat and haul ass.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just got off the phone with Alex at Steve Morris Engines. He answered all of the questions about short blocks that I had, and gave me a quote within ten minutes. Thanks for taking time out of you day to help me out!

·
Registered
700 Posts
◄SHARK►;47168210 said:
Just got off the phone with Alex at Steve Morris Engines. He answered all of the questions about short blocks that I had, and gave me a quote within ten minutes. Thanks for taking time out of you day to help me out!
Very Cool! That's what impressed me about Alex. He takes the time.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts