Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
582 BBC drag race motor. ATI 7" balancer and ATI 918958 adjustable billet pointer. CNC Bowtie block and new Callies crank.
I have the short block complete and was checking TDC using a dial indicator on #1 piston (also checked using #6). Went .050" both sides of top, added numbers and then divided by 2. My new ATI adjustable billet timing pointer points at 10 degrees when the piston is at TDC. They only give us 4 degrees of adjustability, 2 degrees either side.

I ordered a new MSD 89885 billet adjustable pointer and tried it this morning. It also points at 10 degrees.
I have another BBC short block sitting here. I removed the ATI 7" balancer from the 582 and temp installed it on the 482 and checked TDC. This 482 engine has a cast alum fuel injection timing cover with an alum pointer and it lines up on 0.

When I measure from the timing cover bolt (second one from the bottom) to the pointer the ATI pointer it is 1 1/8" (the MSD pointer is identical). The old alum fuel injection timing cover measures 1 5/8" from second timing cover bolt to pointer.

Has anyone else had this issue?
Thanks!

·
Registered
2,289 Posts

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
If the crank keyway is off, the cam is off as well.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Hopefully, cam was degreed. Should have noticed something a little off then. Degree wheel is set to TDC based on piston TDC. Getting to spec'd ICL would have taken some tweaking. Hopefully OP will chime in with some additional info.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I degreed the cam just fine. I didn't have a damper, timing cover, or timing pointer on the engine then. Just a large degree wheel and special pointer for cam degreeing.

I sent the ATI Super Damper back to ATI for rebuilding. I don't expect anything from them. The outer shell has 6 bolts, so if it was off 1 bolt hole, it would be 60 degrees off, not 10. However, the keyway slot on this damper does not line up with 0 degrees on the outer shell. It actually lines up with the 10 degree mark. This would be fine as long as the ATI billet adjustable timing pointer was made the same way. But, it's not. And the adjustable pointer only has 4 degrees of adjustment, 2 degrees each way.
Someone else commented that these billet timing pointers were designed and made by 9 year-old Chinese engineers.

I'm probably going to make a new pointer unless someone has a better idea?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
RCM, thank you very much for checking. It will be interesting what ATI says about my damper.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
But if it was off on one engine it should have been off on the other engine.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Sounds like maybe a damper hub made for Big Block crank snout on a Small Block crank, frequently used for Blower applications?? Typical about 1968-up SBC timing line on balancer OD is 10° off alignment with the keyway.

Did Chevy move the keyway and timing pointer locations when they made the change from short waterpump to long waterpump, like they did on SBC's?? That's when SBC went from nearly aligned with key way to 10° off alignment.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts