Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Already asked this in another section, but no real answer yet.

Is there a taller Woodruff key for the BBC factory style crank keys? Stock key is .188" X .750" and sticks up about .075" above the crank snout. With an ATI damper and a Cloyes billet crank sprocket, there is room for .125" above the snout approx. Just looking for a stronger engagement. That .075" just looks weak even with the press fit and torqued bolt holding it in place. Is the key not under any load after damper is press fit and tighten by the bolt?

Also who sells a Woodruff crank key that is made from strongest material compared to a standard Chevy key?

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
Mark,
I think your Woodruff key will hold up very well for your application. If the dampner has the correct (interference) fit there is very little, if any, force applied to the key. If it provides you with peace of mind, you could have a custom Woodruff key made at a machine shop, but the cost will be relatively high.
Personally, I use the following processes/steps to insure proper dampener installation:
1. Make sure that the crankshaft snout and the dampener interior are absolutely clean and smooth.
2. Heat the dampener interior with a heat lamp for 24 hours prior to installation.
3. Wrap a couple of cool packs (used for ice chests) around the snout of the crankshaft for several hours.
4. Install the dampener using correct installation tool, not a BFH.
5 Use a good quality crank bolt, such as ARP, etc.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
7,480 Posts
Looking at your previous thread Mark, and now here, got me thinking, if interference is what holds the balancer in place why then is it common for roots blower engines to have 2 keyways? I am thinking it is a combination of the two.... sorry I can not offer help with your question IDK the answer

·
Registered
9,205 Posts
I have never taken an engine apart and seen the crank key broke, or fretted, or damage in anyway other then from some idiots he they install them....
Even on one's with wrong proper press.

Maybe on a heavy blown application...
Maybe....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts