Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats the best way to get this damn thing off without stripping the crap out of the allen head ? I'm trying to take the one above the oil filter out 3/8 plug and 5/16 allen I think (fits great but a hair loose), already put penetrating oil on it.

Thanks,
Jake

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Get a cheap torch, and a long thin candle. Like a dinner candle. Heat it until it's cherry red, or close, then quench the thread area with the candle and let it cool completely. Should almost fall out. Might conceder a tighter fitting allan wrench though.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Like Enigma said, heat it cherry red and I squirt oil on it from an old fashion trigger oil can. The heat will suck the oil into the threade just like soldering a joint. Good Luck.

·
Registered
7,656 Posts
all the suggestions above are great, & will certainly work. but before going to that length just hit the plug with a drift or hammer cold first, before applying heat, often, but not always this works.

·
pig hunter
9,424 Posts
brass punch and wack the plug a few good one... like above said it will break the threads loose by the shock.... or a 3/8 drive impact with the allen socket.. just rattle it for awhile without really trying to loosen it. it will kock the rust off with the viberation..

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
I usually just drill a hole right through them an use an ez-out. I would use a torch but all I have in the shop in a regular propane torch, would take way to long to get the plug cherry red. regular drill bit and a set of ez-outs works really good.

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys, the kicker is engine still in car :rolleyes: and kinda tight even with the upswept headers cause frame rail is right their. Gonna try to shock it with a hammer if I can get a good swing on it then I'll try to shock it with an impact slowly. If all that dont work time for some heat and if that dont work drill it drop the filter and catch debris I guess ?

·
"Big Al" Sargent
7,472 Posts
if you can get to it with a mig welder, tack a 3/8 bolt on top of the plug and remove it with a boxed end wrench.

·
Registered
13,485 Posts
first thing to do is the heat trick as mentioned above...
..and HIT IT inside the HEX with a proper size round flat ended punch...HARD...when HOT...

other mannor to "tighten up" the looseness of the HEX..is to put coarse grit lapping compound on / in the hex...then it will take up the looseness...
also another trick is to put accurate small center punch pricks along the side of the flats of the hex on the plug face... ..this will also tighten the "fit" of the wrench hex up...

buy a good new hex allen wrench...and put a foot long pipe on it..
the BEST hex allen wrenches are "bondus"....but without the ball end...!!!!
cheap shit wrenches from harbor freight or corner store will jsut twist and make the job a lot more difficult or not sucessfull...

if it is still that difficult, then just use one of the other five possible locations to install the oil pressure line...

·
Registered
13,485 Posts
the candle wax trick I use a number of times..but when the plug is ON THE SIDE...the wax just will not flow..

the plug would have to be upwards, so that gravity will allow the wax to FLOW....downwards...

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
an 8 mm allen key should be a tad larger..you would have to mic it to be sure. If it is, you may be able to drive it in. If you don't have room to swing the allen key 360*, what about an allen socket or short piece of allen key and use a wrench on it
if the hole is rounding off, you can also hit it with a ball end hammer to get it tighter, then use the allen key
get a good one, I have broken cheap ones

·
Registered
16,879 Posts
my buddy broke the corner of his block off trying to take that plug out. LEAVE IT ALONE!!

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
I'd use the 8 mm allen, it is .315" instead of .312", whack the plug with a brass hammer, and then use an impact gun to shock it loose. I have twisted the head off exhaust bolts before when using a long breaker bar, but an impact knocks them right out.

·
Registered
7,816 Posts
If you have to drill it pull the distibutor and turn the oil pump and it will (hopefully) push out any shavings. Don't just put a drill on it and go wide open though or you'll have oil everywhere.

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well tried the heat trick with wax and then oil and now it is stripped clean all whored out :mad:. Swinging a hammer is next to impossible with the room I have so I may have to do the drill method and ez out.

I am doing this for the oil feed to my turbo and some said the best spot is the port above the oil filter, I asked about the port on the front of the block and thats a no go ? maybe try the port on the side of the block nearest the oil filter for the most pressure/volume ? not sure kind of aggravating at the moment.

Any more ideas fellas .

·
Registered
4,731 Posts
If your gonna drill it..make damn sure your pilot hole is dead nuts center and strait, and drill it as big as you can(one step up at a time) but leave enough for the biggest easy out you can get in it. Good luck! I've done many like this. Just take your time.

·
Registered
13,485 Posts
just keep on beating on it and drilling it and breaking off a twisted e-z-out and then

you are going to have to pull the block out of the car
.... and pay someone else 300 dollars to get it out.....

.....there will be a hard lesson to be learned...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts