Yellow Bullet Forums banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
And you believe it? What altitude do you race at and what altitude was the engine dynoed at? Their fuel consumption can't be right either. Only 164 lbs/hr for 810hp? Don't matter to me, but if you actually put an engine in there that makes over 800hp you will be going low 9's, have a license and legit car? ;)
Apparently you are a dyno engineer. I am not, nor claim to be, would you like to call Tim who dynoed it. I am sure you know more than him and dynos can vary by +/-100hp. I posted what mine made on that dyno, nothing more, nothing less, I even rounded down. Should my car be faster at 810hp, yep. Is it, nope. Real world application, go figure. Dynos are a gauge and a tool, nothing more, but you already knew that, right. I'm not sure about your comment about the license and legit car. I said I don't have a license but it is a legit certed 8.50 car. Would you like a pic of the cert too? I know you actually race so I will give you props for that.

·
EFI/N2O JUNKIE
16,784 Posts
Apparently you are a dyno engineer. I am not, nor claim to be, would you like to call Tim who dynoed it. I am sure you know more than him and dynos can vary by +/-100hp. I posted what mine made on that dyno, nothing more, nothing less, I even rounded down. Should my car be faster at 810hp, yep. Is it, nope. Real world application, go figure. Dynos are a gauge and a tool, nothing more, but you already knew that, right. I'm not sure about your comment about the license and legit car. I said I don't have a license but it is a legit certed 8.50 car. Would you like a pic of the cert too? I know you actually race so I will give you props for that.
Plenty of people get below 10.00 without the goods, seen it many, many times. Much more involved than just a legit cage and cert tag, but you already know that. If the engine made 810hp on a legit dyno, fine with me, not my car. But if I had an 810hp engine in my car and it went that slow I would be embarrassed and certainly not pouting-off that my engine makes 810hp! Shit, my buddies NHRA stocker will run right alongside with you with a 100% legal combo and a whopping 348 cubic inch engine. But, have at it, just don't want you to be pissed with your new build, nor get your ass in trouble should you really make the power you want. I go 9.4's @ 146 with my 427 SBC @ 3200 lbs, I guess it is around 700ish, never had it on a dyno, the tracks I race at are my dyno.

·
Former RJ instigator
40,307 Posts
I'm with Mike here, 810 HP should put you in deep nines, or that dyno was feeling very generous that day, I've made less power and gone faster, not trying to start a pissing match though.
Good luck with your build.

·
Registered
9,311 Posts
Plenty of people get below 10.00 without the goods, seen it many, many times. Much more involved than just a legit cage and cert tag, but you already know that. If the engine made 810hp on a legit dyno, fine with me, not my car. But if I had an 810hp engine in my car and it went that slow I would be embarrassed and certainly not pouting-off that my engine makes 810hp! Shit, my buddies NHRA stocker will run right alongside with you with a 100% legal combo and a whopping 348 cubic inch engine. But, have at it, just don't want you to be pissed with your new build, nor get your ass in trouble should you really make the power you want. I go 9.4's @ 146 with my 427 SBC @ 3200 lbs, I guess it is around 700ish, never had it on a dyno, the tracks I race at are my dyno.
Mike,.... LOL
I'd say your 700ish is more like 735hp.
My Nova will run 9.90's at 136 through full 3.5" exhaust up over the rear.... It makes about 680hp, open headers it has been 9.76. @138.

I agree, he should be going faster than 10.1

·
Registered
9,311 Posts
Let's find the correction factor on your mans Dyno.
Is it on the sheet??
What was the altitude and Density altitude?
Water grains etc....

·
EFI/N2O JUNKIE
16,784 Posts
Mike,.... LOL
I'd say your 700ish is more like 735hp.
My Nova will run 9.90's at 136 through full 3.5" exhaust up over the rear.... It makes about 680hp, open headers it has been 9.76. @138.

I agree, he should be going faster than 10.1
Yeah, I figure tell people the low side and let them scratch their heads and wonder how I do it......... ;)

But when you look at NHRA-legal Stock and Super Stockers, they wring every ounce of ET out of them that they can, and the MPH is usually pretty low to us "Bracket Racers!". Heck, I used to go 10.2 @ 138........ To those guys (and gals) that is sacriledge! Should be WAY quicker for that MPH! :)

·
EFI/N2O JUNKIE
16,784 Posts
Is it on the sheet??
Water grains etc....
I wasn't try to bust his balls, I just want him to realize he isn't using what he has, or that dyno is flat-out wrong.
There is another thread going about a BBF, where the guy went from a 6.3 ride (around 10.00 in the 1/4) to an 8 second ride, and never went in the 9's! Ask him what a difference that was! Some people have no issue, others may.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Is it on the sheet??
Water grains etc....
From the dyno sheet I posted. Correction Factor 29.92hg. 60`F. I do not see altitude or density altitude on the sheet. But sheet is posted on page 1 as well.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
OK let's keep this simple . This original post has nothing to do about racing dyno sheets. It has to do with who had real world success with who I listed. So far, about 2 people have contributed something worthwhile to that post, Nick and Finnish. The rest have been about Oh you couldn't have made that or why are you bitching about price.
Let's clarify, I have not bitched about a price because Nick has not given me one. The ones I listed have prices listed on their websites but can change with different parts you may want, understandable. I have not questioned anyone's price, period. I merely posted all the information I could so Nick knew what my current motor is to make an assessment of what I may need to go faster. He and I will discuss that when he has a moment to let me know what he comes up with.
Now for all the ones that say you should be so much faster. Well by local dynos and those I know, I am still comparable by HP, time and weight, I guess NE Ohio dynos are generous. But I do agree I should be faster and have said so in a previous post. If you would like to make a recommendation on how to do that, I will listen. My major inhibitor is weight, I know that. I have all steel and glass and prefer to keep it that way. But if you are have constructive experience with chassis, shocks, and setup, just let me know. I will tell you what I have and where it is set to go from there.
I swear this is why I am not on social media. Ask a question and it goes off the rails from the original question to change the topic. Read my initial post.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Go with Nick if your budget fits. If not, I would suggest Talking to Pat at Nyes Automotive Machine in Northeast Indiana. They have many reasonable engine packages, a good reputation, a honest dyno and decent pricing. They advertise on Racing Junk under the Engine section. I have 2 friends that have their engines and they run well and another friend that uses them just for machine work and is satisfied. Another guy I built an engine from had them rebuild it for him and it ran about the same afterwords.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Go with Nick if your budget fits. If not, I would suggest Talking to Pat at Nyes Automotive Machine in Northeast Indiana. They have many reasonable engine packages, a good reputation, a honest dyno and decent pricing. They advertise on Racing Junk under the Engine section. I have 2 friends that have their engines and they run well and another friend that uses them just for machine work and is satisfied. Another guy I built an engine from had them rebuild it for him and it ran about the same afterwords.
Thanks for the information. It is one I am looking at.

look at the top of the dyno sheet it says its 27.18 inches barometer you dyno this thing in a hurricane ?
Yes......

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Mark - no reply was needed. I knew what he wanted. People do not read or choose not to. Crank/tire hp are not the same. Does it still equal out, not really. Depends on what your loss is.

·
Registered
18,410 Posts
Mark - no reply was needed. I knew what he wanted. People do not read or choose not to. Crank/tire hp are not the same. Does it still equal out, not really. Depends on what your loss is.
Barry don't let them get to you a bunch of know it all's on here especially in the TOBT section!!

21 - 38 of 38 Posts