Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, .030 454 with flat top pistons now. I would like to raise compression with my open chamber oval port heads, will a small dome piston made for a closed chamber head work with my open chamber? Im having trouble finding a dome big enough, they are either too big or too small for the 10.5ish compression I would like. Advice? Thanks!!

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Are you trying to run it on pump gas ? If you are I would not suggest going that high on compression.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Are you trying to run it on pump gas ? If you are I would not suggest going that high on compression.

WTF ???

10.5 is in no way to much for pump gas. with a BBC

and yes a closed chamber piston should work on and open chamber head but i do not see why you cant find a 10:1 piston. ????
and what closed chamber 454 piston did you find

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
WTF ???

and yes a closed chamber piston should work on and open chamber head but i do not see why you cant find a 10:1 piston. ????
^^X-2^^

·
Registered
3,288 Posts
WTF ???

X2, I would even put 11 in it....

·
Banned
71,969 Posts
What oval port head do you have ?
Cast iron or alum ?

If alum, 11.1 and even a little higher, is very doable. Just has to be cammed right.
IMO, I'd be cautious to do an 11.1 if the heads are cast iron. It will need to be cammed right to minimize detonation.

If memory serves, the factory LS-6 454s were open chamber heads with closed chamber domed pistons and was listed at a static comp ratio of 11.1.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi guys, buying another car and that engine has open chamber ovals on it, its not in my possesion yet so im unsure about the castings ( had a mini blower on it at one time ) so im assuming its just your standard large 119cc chamber. The pistons that I thought would work, like scott mentioned were the kb icons and they also make that dome in the hypereutectic pistons too. I just wasnt sure about the closed chamber thing. Thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
13,485 Posts
...a SRP can have a 12 to 17 cc positive dome volume

you have to know what the compression height ( distance from center of wrist pin to the flat quench of piston is) ...AS NEEDED....

WHAT BORESIZE....????

GUESSES DO NOT COUNT...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts