Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am starting to look in to putting a 496 or a 509 bbc chevy together for our new malibu we got, i been looking at a bunch of parts and got a lot of questions. The first one is whats the big difference between a B M block, and a Worlds product one , we our thinking about the cast mains 4.500 bore one , are they about the same except price.The second one is whats the best crankshaft for the money, we are looking at the Callies dragon slayer, and the compstar , what the difference between them , and how are the Scat and Eagel cranks, and what about rods , what would be a good length, 6.385 or 6.535, or longer . The motor will have some eddy cnc ported victors heads , looking to run about 12.5 or 13.1 and will be running some spray on it , right now trying to figure out the best combo and money wise parts , don't want to spend twice.Thanks

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Some may disagree but I've got a eagle crank and rods in my 540 and plan on a health shot of spray too ! I've seen them live at 1,400 + hp levels with no issues ........: just my .02 Good luck with your build

·
Registered
539 Posts
I have a set of callies compstar h beams I am selling.6.535" length. In nice shape if you are interested.came out of a 496 that made well over 900 hp.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Get a tall deck with billit caps. That way you have more options in the future. I like dart blocks but both are good blocks. As far as callies cranks the comp star is off shore forging like eagle I think the dragonslayer is forged in us. Even if you buy the cheaper off shore crank you will still be better off to buy callies. Their machine work is dead on out of the box.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was looking at the compstar for the price it seems real nice, if we go with a 9.8 deck whats the largest stroke you can go with if we decide to grow,

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
I was looking at the compstar for the price it seems real nice, if we go with a 9.8 deck whats the largest stroke you can go with if we decide to grow,

Typically 4.375.... but 4.50 is doable with some work.

Trying to sell my 588ci Tall Deck... Fyi, if you wanna monster? :)

Good luck with the build!

Cheers -

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
If you have a clean slate, Build the biggest engine you can. You are going to make power with the parts listed, no doubt. Keeping that in mind, if you use a short deck block go with the 6.385 rod. You said you were going to spray it. I would want the stronger piston. If you go with a tall deck block You could look into a longer rod than the 6.535. I have seen alot of 6.700 rod 10.2 builds.

One thing I would also do is get the strongest rod bolt available for the rods you use. Also pick a good ring stack something like the .043 .043. 3mm is proven. You may want to talk to Total Seal before you buy pistons and see what they suggest. Mahle also has some nice ring stack these days.

I like the idea of using the smallest chamber possible with a flat top piston. You may think about that before you order pistons. The smaller the chamber the more efficient and the lighter the piston. How much spray comes into play here. The tune becomes more critical with the smaller chamber.

·
Registered
260 Posts
If you are going to buy a new block, Dart big M / 4.600 bore, it is more user friendly with the new good flowing heads out there.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The heads are a set of eddy victors bare casting , that need to be finish , we been talking to M&M up in indy to cnc port them , the main owner of the car wants too keep it small ci and build big latter for some reason, , i was trying to talk him into a 10.2 deck block since they are the same price as 9.80 but he afraid of the headers he has not fitting , since the heads have .400 raise exhaust ports

·
Registered
7,657 Posts
clean sheet build, new headers are really of little consequence,, compared to all the new parts needed later. As you say yourself "Don't want to spend twice"

·
Registered
260 Posts
Look at the Valve Dia. that is going to be used. You do not want to shroud them.That is why I said a 4.600" bore before.With that you can use anything from a 3 - 3/4" stroke to a 4 - 1/2 " stroke latter on. Even with a 4.530" bore on one engine the block had to be relived to get the right air flow.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
The heads are a set of eddy victors bare casting , that need to be finish , we been talking to M&M up in indy to cnc port them , the main owner of the car wants too keep it small ci and build big latter for some reason, , i was trying to talk him into a 10.2 deck block since they are the same price as 9.80 but he afraid of the headers he has not fitting , since the heads have .400 raise exhaust ports
Give curtis boggs a phone call on those victor heads.....rfd is his business name. Research him!

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The heads are a set of 7760 castings , i never heard of them, my friend pick them up new form a speed shop in town given away old inventory , he think they can flow onto the 440 range or so , dose anybody have any info on these heads , and i think we are going with a 10.2 deck now since he got a new set of Manley 6.7 aluminum rods ,what can of power can the rods take . Thanks

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have a brand new in the box set of diamond flat top 4.530 nitrous pistons with brand new never opened nitrous hellfire rings for $800 will make a 580 in a tall deck or a 509 in a short deck. If interested text (815)955 -7190
I can send pics
Thanks Dennis

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks i will tell him about the pistons and rods,we are now deciding between building a 565 short deck or a 598 tall, running a super victor match to the heads,still 13 to 1 or so , what do you all think about the piston having gas ports , are they worth the money. Have any body use M M machine in indy , they seam real nice when talking to , or any recommendation on shops around lex ky , we don't mind a little drive,.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts