Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Monte I know you you are a small block fan but I was wondering what would be the eaisier/cheaper motor to build for nitrous to go into the 8 sec zone. My car should be around the 3200 lb range when completed any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
I vote for SBC. My car weighs 3200 and has been 9.25 @ 146 on a 275 shot. It's a 434 with a plate. 10.8 to 1 with a small street roller. Car is super reliable and will go 8's with some tuning. I only adjust valves once a year and rarely open the hood when at the track. Car is also super streetable. :-D

·
Administrator
136,626 Posts
To make the most HP the cheapest.. your best bet is a BBC.. Yes Yes I know I know.. But this is the tech section and not the trash section..

Remember you can't put 10 gallons of $#!t in a 5 gallon bucket!!! Meaning, you can use a heaver dose of nitrous in a BBC than you can in a SBC. Can a 8 second SBC be built? Of course they can.. but the price and reliablity aspect aint as good..

·
Registered
5,226 Posts
85, Monty's correct. As best bang for the buck must be the BB. Yes you can biuld a SB to run as fast, but will cost alot more. Have you seen the forum from Patrick Budd on the polished sneaker deal, if not, here's a link:
http://www.nescaracing.com/polishsneakers.html

I own the 427, and I've spoken to Mike with the 468. His 468 has went 10.30's on the motor. Now you must remember that this was done in the 90's. With today technology and parts you couls easily run in the 8's. There are a bunch of "kits" to make a BBc for $1699.00+. I was looking at a 555 Heavy Nitrous setup from Ohio crank for $2400.00. And the assemvled short for $4000.00 and change. But for around 8 to 10 grand you could have a Killer, fresh BBc that would run in the 8's.

Also, there is a ton of used stuff out there. Hope this helps, John 8)

·
Registered
4,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys for the input!! I was headed in the BBC direction just wanted to make sure i was making the right move. I currently have a small block in the car and have always admired fast cars with small blocks but I just don't carry the funds to go all out with a small block.

my current combo was on a budget but was pretty shocking when a little nitrous was added at least for me

385 ci
cast iron bowtie heads old school early 80's stuff
11:1 flat top
std unported victor jr
solid roller cam .630 lift with 260* int and 270* exh dur. 110 lsa
8' ATI converter 4.30 with 28" tires
car weigh 3370 with me and a full bottle
went 12.20 on motor and with a big shot on a 73 pill
went 10.86 letting of around 1000'

should have messed with it more but I was worried about the valve springs being weak

I was lookin into around a 500inch motor and a set of AFR 345cc heads
is there a better bang for the buck then the AFR heads?

·
Registered
5,226 Posts
As for a better bang for a buck, I'm not sure, it all depends on combo more than specific "heads". I do know that there are not alot of people running those AFR heads that I've heard off. I would also look at Brodix and Dart. Also look at the Profiler's. There pretty good out of the box. Haven't seen much on the Pro Top-Line stuff, but there SB stuff is pretty stout, therefore the BB stuff should be decent. With the smao tires, you might want more bore and less stroke as to not blow the tires off. Something like a 3.75 to 4.0 stroke and 4.5 to 4.6 bore. The 4.6 bores will un-shroud the valves better, but more pricey.

·
Registered
5,618 Posts
The best BBC alum heads for the price in mind type guy (like me) are the canfeilds. When the next motor project starts this winter im going back to the canfeilds vs the dart's i have now. Just my opion.

·
Registered
4,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was looking at brodix heads and the AFR never even thought to look at canfields I will check them out. Thanks

·
Registered
117 Posts
i have a 496 BBC drag radial nitrous car with the afr 357 cnc heads, 5.60's in the 1/8th on a big shot kit... i'm not sure what that is in the 1/4 cuz we don't run it down here. about $8,500 in the motor and it makes 900hp. if you're going to be running alot of nitrous i'd look seriously at the afr's as the exhaust ports are excellent for any type of power adder.

·
Registered
4,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
matt mcarthur said:
i have a 496 BBC drag radial nitrous car with the afr 357 cnc heads, 5.60's in the 1/8th on a big shot kit... i'm not sure what that is in the 1/4 cuz we don't run it down here. about $8,500 in the motor and it makes 900hp. if you're going to be running alot of nitrous i'd look seriously at the afr's as the exhaust ports are excellent for any type of power adder.
Cool to hear!! That is right around where I want to be on cubic inches I am still leaning toward the AFR, I have seen there small block stuff and have seen impressive flow #'s from them. Thanks for the info !! Do you street drive the car at all????

1 - 13 of 13 Posts