Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
In the shop with my Vette
5,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can I run .300 tall lifters in a stock block 454 Chevy? Will it uncover the lifter body. Or oil feed?
Looking at this set specifically...

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,387 Posts
I have Morel 4845 in my 2 BBC engines right now. Both are Dart blocks I have also used them in 289 casting 454 blocks. As far as I know they will fit all BBC blocks without issue. .300" tall just refers to the upward movement of the link bars to clear later blocks, but does not effect any particular use. The placement of the push rod cup remain the same so push rod length does not need to be changed.

·
5,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Has anybody ever machined a slot from the oil cross hole to the Push rod oil hole to increase oil to the valve train? I am told that this is something that Dart recommends To increase oil flow to the rocker arms valves and Springs.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Has anybody ever machined a slot from the oil cross hole to the Push rod oil hole to increase oil to the valve train? I am told that this is something that Dart recommends To increase oil flow to the rocker arms valves and Springs.
Never had a problem with oil to top without the groove added.

·
Registered
4,387 Posts
If needed, only do one hole per lifter, the one facing the center of the block. It takes only a tiny scratch to see a difference. Easy to over do it. Use a small steel ruler up against the body and a sharp pointer to make a straight line vertically. Just do one and check the effect before going whole hog. You can't put it back on one you go too far.

·
5,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The reason I ask that, I have a chance to buy a used set. In theory, I would purchase them and send them to Morel for inspection/rebuild. The gentleman selling them says this is a Dart recommended mod to improve top end oiling. I will get some pictures of the "modification" and post it up here. But if the mod sends more oil upstairs, does it under oil the lifter wheel? Rob peter to pay paul theory... Also, since these are used & modified lifters I would never buy them without some of the pros here saying yes this is a normal upgrade we do or have done. And with out first contacting Morel for guidance and a rebuild if needed. The set to purchase new is over 800.00. Maybe this deal is a total dud and not worth trying to save a few hundred bucks on. Are there any good lifters our there in the 500-600 range that are solid roller and will live with some street duty??
Thanks!!!

·
Registered
4,387 Posts
I suggest you check with Motorsports Unlimited very near the Morel factory in Ohio.He is very helpful in situations that need that extra touch. He handles that brand lifter among other quality valvetrain and engine parts.Thank me later.

·
5,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just be sure your not buying someone’s mistake.
Yup, not trying to jump the gun and buy this stiff twice. I'll probably just buy then new from Chris Straub. My builder likes the crower HIPPO'S. Anyone know how they stack up against the morels?

·
I kill parts
9,973 Posts

That mod is 2-part and works well. The second part being, run oil restrictors to tailor the top end oil flow. We did and have seen less pushrod tip and adjuster cup wear, even with .040 restrictors which obviously aid bottom end oiling.

There is a bulletin from Dart about the mod, bottom page of this particular information packet. -

Taking oil control a step further, we also run the single hole cam bearings with a back groove and the oiling hole installed around 3-4 o'clock. - That way the oil can actual get into the bearing as the cam rotates and form a wedge at the bottom, instead of trying to put 60-100psi oil pressure in past exponentially higher pressure valvespring force pushing down on the cam. - That was a recommendation from RCM and seems to work well

·
5,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Ok, in an effort to not adopt any problems I just ordered new morel lifters directly from Chris Straub. Also going to be upgrading to his rockers. I've leaned on him and foxwell enough over the years for facts and advice I figured decided this was my best option. Chris, thanks for the info and help. Can't wait to see what this new cam and complimenting valve train do for my combo.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts