Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 78 Camarillo a couple years back to toy around with while rebuilding my Chevelle.Car has got a 468 bbc 10:5:1 compression Keith black Pistons stock steel crank 781 casting heads I don't have the specs on the cam handy but it's the biggest hydraulic flat tap pet cam that I could get aluminum dual plane intake with a demon 850 carb and Msd ignition. 400 turbo trans with a coan hot rod convertor 410 gear with a 28" tire. Cars got 3 inch exhaust with flow masters sounds great however doesn't really have no balls. I think for starters the dual plane intake has got to be switched to a single and I've also been told to replace carb with a quick fuel. Ok from the guys that know what their doing what's the problem and how much affect does the hot rod ( or maybe the called it a pro street convertor) have on the car. Thanks a lot Gentlemen for any help/advice

·
Registered
9,124 Posts
You can't make a BBC run good in a Camarillo ( or Camaroo either) swap it into a Fox body.
If you must use the Camarillo body swap a junkyard LS into it. LS's will make a dump truck run like a Top Fueler.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
ignition first, then carb - that's the way. Look into the advance curve first. unleaded fuel takes a good distributor with the right advance - like 17 or 18 initial 35-36 total and you want vacuum to pul 13 degrees more at idle so you get 30 degrees at idle, if its a street car running on 93 octane.

·
Registered
5,194 Posts
Good single plane like a Holley Strip Dominator
Good ignition
Lots of timing. Don't be afraid to try up to 45-46 degrees. Especially in a heavy car.

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
I have a similar combo in my nova.It's a 454 .030 over.Forged srp pistons with a .100 dome.781 oval ports,Edelbrock performer rpm,Holley 750dp with a hp main body,Comp cams hydralic flat tappet cam.I dont remember the specs right now.But it's around .580 lift .240's duration on a 110 lsa.

The car has 3:73 gears and 27x10.5 et streets.A ******* performance 9.5 inch convertor that stalls around 3000.

I haven't had it to the track because of some issue's with the car.(leaky trans,bad coil springs)

But it's by no means a slouch.I raced a freinds 01 trans am that ran 11:70's spinning at the the track and he did pull slightly ahead of me.But not by much.

Listen to these guys.Get the timing right and keep the dual plane.I went from a performer rpm on my 396 to a single plane.And guess what a month later I was swapping intakes again.

I am having issue's with my vacuam advance now.When I hook it up the car will not idle.So I got my own problems.

Get us some real specs on the cam also.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts