Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently using a cam spec'd out for my old car which was a 3500lbs, with a10:1 engine, turbo 350 with 3500 rpm stall. My new car is 2375 lbs, powerglide and 11.5:1, with 4500 stall. Its a solid lifter cam and N/A at this time.

My question is, am I leaving a lot of power on the table with the weight, compression, transmission and stall being so different? What would be a close estimate, a tenth or 2 in the 1/8 mile? More or less?

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
What exactly are you asking? If the camshaft is wrong for the application? If so, you will need list the exact combination and the current cam profile you are using and start from there.

·
Registered
13,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Kris, that was confusing. I knew what I was asking, but I can see why no one else could...:rolleyes:

I guess I was looking for validation that the cam I currently have would be the correct one considering all the changes I have made. IE compression, stall, weight of car and transmission. I have a strong feeling it is way off.

I was looking for a guess on what return on my $$$ a cam change could make.

Thanks for helping!

·
Registered
5,293 Posts
You can use a larger cam now... but without knowing what you had we can't tell you if it's close.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Bret's right. You still haven't listed what camshaft you have, and what the current combination you are running it in. No way to say you can use a bigger cam though, as the camshaft you have could have been too large for what you had to begine with and may be fine for what you have now. Need more info so let us know.

·
workin it
7,778 Posts
Numbers baby, numbers...post em up

·
Registered
13,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Guys, I have decided to run the cam I have. I remembered the piston to valve clearence issues I had to address with this cam I really don't want to get in to all that at this time. Next time the engine is apart I may look into a roller set up. Thanks for your input.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts