Yellow Bullet Forums banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Nice thread. I run a 565 with AFR/Mamo 340 heads, 10.5 compression. I've run 8.70/5.54 in good air at 2824 pounds. In todays heat it might run high .90s. I've left a lot on the table, though. Mostly these days I run it on the 10.90 stop. I've run this type combination for about 10 years.

Some days I wonder how it would go as a 582 with better heads like Mamo's 360s.

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
I have a 10.5 582 with Mamo/AFR CNC 360 heads, 2.325" intajke valve, his design cam, T&D 1.75 rockers and his Merlin X ported intake. Runs low 9 seconds at 3150 with no tuning. The Merlin intake fits the AFR intake port radius' better than a eddy 2927. But his port job is expensive for a partially ported intake. I had CFM in Indy finish the porting like i wanted it. I run it on 100LL Av gas.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Watch out for T&D rockers that do not fit correctly left and right. Rocker roller offset to the side, not centered over the valve stem. T&D shaft rockers for BBC ARF 357 latest CNC heads. Called and asked why they are .075" off center left to right. Answer was "AFR moves their intake valves around and it is hard to keep up with it. Won't hurt anything, run em."

Dart Pro 1 BBC CNC 365 heads. Same issue, same answer.
[/QUOT
Watch out for T&D rockers that do not fit correctly left and right. Rocker roller offset to the side, not centered over the valve stem. T&D shaft rockers for BBC ARF 357 latest CNC heads. Called and asked why they are .075" off center left to right. Answer was "AFR moves their intake valves around and it is hard to keep up with it. Won't hurt anything, run em."

[/QUOTE
Funny you bring that up. Just fited 2 sets of their 3148 rockers for AFR385 heads and AFR335 heads and both sets had wrong offsets on 1/2 of the intakes. Had to clearance the pushrod holes in the heads. They would of worked a lot better with non offset intakes but when I rang Sheldon, he told me they were right for thew heads and there was a problem with the heads and I should take it up with AFR. I know they weren't right but these people just cant be wrong , can they.

·
Registered
35 Posts
If you don't want to break the bank, then go with Brodix 3xtra heads. Then you have your choice of rocker systems as well as several port sizes (I'd recommend the 3xtra 363 package). The new 24 degree pistons from both Wiseco and Diamond will work with these nicely.
If you can afford more and really need more power, then Head Hunters would be a good choice but now you are forced to go with an oval port intake and shaft rockers. I would avoid the Head Hunter MC as they will require a custom piston and special orders are backed up for several months.
If you go with SR 20 or BR-X 20 heads it will make more power but double the cost as well as complexity. Some builders say the 18 degree Big Duke is less expensive and will make more power than the SR-20.
It just depends on where do you want to draw the line?

·
Registered
742 Posts
I have a 10.5 582 with Mamo/AFR CNC 360 heads, 2.325" intajke valve, his design cam, T&D 1.75 rockers and his Merlin X ported intake. Runs low 9 seconds at 3150 with no tuning. The Merlin intake fits the AFR intake port radius' better than a eddy 2927. But his port job is expensive for a partially ported intake. I had CFM in Indy finish the porting like i wanted it. I run it on 100LL Av gas.
What's it run and weight?

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
3150. 5 seconds in 1/8 mile. 9.30 in 1/4. It is not a maxed at all because I run 6.50 and 6.0 index and just 6.40 in bracket racing so I don't have to wear my heavy, hot suit. (E Z Plate restrictor)

·
T/S 368E
30,021 Posts
Watch out for T&D rockers that do not fit correctly left and right. Rocker roller offset to the side,
not centered over the valve stem. T&D shaft rockers for BBC ARF 357 latest CNC heads.
Called and asked why they are .075" off center left to right.
Answer was "AFR moves their intake valves around and it is hard to keep up with it.
Won't hurt anything, run em."

That's for damn sure.
The 496" I bought for this season for my no box car that I got screwed on had several issues with proper geometry :(
He had to do a couple of tweaks!!!
Of course I wanted Jesel, and a different head, but what would I know, I'm only the guy writing the checks!!!

·
Registered
742 Posts
3150. 5 seconds in 1/8 mile. 9.30 in 1/4. It is not a maxed at all because I run 6.50 and 6.0 index and just 6.40 in bracket racing so I don't have to wear my heavy, hot suit. (E Z Plate restrictor)
We have old 580 boat motor.4.530x 4.500.It has 11.85 comp and dart 360 heads and dart manifold.Both have med effort work.We actually just freshened it and was a hair quicker at 8.71 @ 3200.Just old backhalf street turd.If I had to do combo again I would like bigger heads and more valve.

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
Yes Alex was the highest Hp cast single "conventianal-headed" BBc I have heard of, of any size BBc! Slick Rick modded BMF 350 heads I think with Sniper cast single. That was a nicely sorted out combo for sure that ran the numbers to back it up.

41 - 53 of 53 Posts