Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Looking into doing 582 short deck deal with conventional head. Was wondering if any of you would care to share combos and power out put?

T/S 368E

I keep hearing the sniper 174X will make over 1100 HP.

Registered
Did a set of AFR's for Troy LaCrone a couple years back. Started as 335's, went with 2.385/1.85 valves, ended up @ 351cc, flowed 460 and fully ported Sniper intake. Don't remember power. Engine was a dedicated nitrous deal. Same top end went on a 565 that makes 1035. I have a cnc program for the heads.

Registered

Registered
Profiler 174x or sr20. Preferably Profiler.

Registered
PLENTY on here and some make GREAT power. Pumpgas style are well into 1000+Hp, other strickly race are 1200+. Look and talk to guys about TPS style stuff. Alex Hayes 588 was 1330 with cast single too, I believe that were SR BMF modded heads and intake.

Registered
I recently watched an MBE video of a new 18* conventional head with a 2.500 valve and redesigned/relocated rocker bar. I believe he said it's a true oval port and goes well over 500cfm.

T/S 368E

WOW, if true, he's going to sell a bunch of them to class specific guys!!!
Especially tractor pull guys that are required to use a conventional head.

Registered
Wonder how those MBE 18 deg heads would compare power wise to a SR20 or Headhunter? I'd like to pick a conventional head that uses T&D's one piece stand.

Registered
Darin Morgan just got his 20* Dart casting done. Pretty impressive. I also have a pretty decent program for the Brodix 20* casting.

Registered
Darin Morgan just got his 20* Dart casting done. Pretty impressive. I also have a pretty decent program for the Brodix 20* casting.
I'd like to do something with the power of a nicely ported 20 degree, but with a one piece rocker stand. Most that I've seen use a 1 piece intake stand and then bolt the exhaust stands to that bar. I've seen Shafiroff saying their X20 heads use a 1 piece stand. The only other ones I've seen so far have been those MBE 18s.

Registered
I'd like to do something with the power of a nicely ported 20 degree, but with a one piece rocker stand. Most that I've seen use a 1 piece intake stand and then bolt the exhaust stands to that bar. I've seen Shafiroff saying their X20 heads use a 1 piece stand. The only other ones I've seen so far have been those MBE 18s.
What is the power you are hoping to make? What your looking at is not a budget deal by any means. Good set of 20s with equally prepped cast single with the matching shortblock will be north of 1350Hp.

So depending on class there could be better options out there.

Registered
Problem with that is not being able to set rocker geometry for intakes and ex separately. The T&D set up with steel rockers for the Brodix heads is pretty nice, although the rockers need some adjustments. I don't think there'd be any huge benefit to a one piece stand.

Registered
What is the power you are hoping to make? What your looking at is not a budget deal by any means. Good set of 20s with equally prepped cast single with the matching shortblock will be north of 1350Hp.

So depending on class there could be better options out there.
I have a 548" Dart Big M that I'm going to refresh. It has a Callies magnum crank and Oliver I beam rods. But really dated old ported Brodix -2 heads. 13.5 compression.

If the crank and rods turn out in great shape, which they should be, and if the block can go to 4.600 .... I plan to bore it to make it a 565" with about a point more compression (14.5 to 15ish) and much better heads and rocker system. I', probably 875ish hp now. I want to get it up to around 1000-1050hp, and rev about 7500/7600. Plan to run single dominator and C14.

I want really rock solid reliability. My 548" has about 6 years on it, and the only thing I do is change the valve springs every other year and inspect the bearings. Great bracket motor, but I'm itching to up the power level.

So that's my goal of trying to pick out some heads. A bit over 1000 hp and a rock solid reliable valve train.

Registered
I have a 548" Dart Big M that I'm going to refresh. It has a Callies magnum crank and Oliver I beam rods. But really dated old ported Brodix -2 heads. 13.5 compression.

If the crank and rods turn out in great shape, which they should be, and if the block can go to 4.600 .... I plan to bore it to make it a 565" with about a point more compression (14.5 to 15ish) and much better heads and rocker system. I', probably 875ish hp now. I want to get it up to around 1000-1050hp, and rev about 7500/7600. Plan to run single dominator and C14.

I want really rock solid reliability. My 548" has about 6 years on it, and the only thing I do is change the valve springs every other year and inspect the bearings. Great bracket motor, but I'm itching to up the power level.

So that's my goal of trying to pick out some heads. A bit over 1000 hp and a rock solid reliable valve train.
The conventional head and intake package I mentioned above has made 1035 @ 7300 and 804 lbs/ft @ 5600 on a 565 with ~15:1. Rock solid engine. In a 3700# Chevelle it's gone 1.29 60' and 9.16 @ 146+ on a soft leave with no suspension tuning yet. The valve train is a shaft system I worked with Harland Sharp to develop and was Drag Week torture tested.

Registered

You certainly do NOT NEED 18 or 20 degree heads for this. There has been a few guys here with pumpgas 582 that have broken 1000Hp with Brodix BB3 heads can single.

There are plenty of ways to get to where you want to be and be rock solid reliable. But with plenty of people looking at moving up to these 18/20 deg heads, there is usually some good used stuff coming up for good deals. With the time of year it is, and the WHOFLU still screwing shit up, might be a good time to get a game plan for the winter. Maybe call around to some shops to see if guys want to move up and you could buy there nicely used stuff. Bet someone like Ken Abbott out of Texas, who was around with TPS might now of some nice conventional top ends. Like Alex Hayes deal that made KILLER power for a old BMF head and Sniper cast signal that were reworked. Still made 1330Hp on a 588.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts