Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had some concern with my car since a recent conversation with a well known fuel pump guy. The car is question is your typical street/strip, SBC with a BigShot plate, alternator, MSD 6al, big fuel pump, electric fan, all street related equipment, average size battery. In conversation I was told not to even try to fire the nitrous due to insufficient battery and that the fuel solenoid would NEVER open. He stated to run 2 deep cycle marine batteries with the caps on the top and that the gel cell batteries (Optima) were junk as well. Does anyone even run 2 deep cycle marine batteries any more? What would be considered the minimum in this situation?

·
Registered
613 Posts
Shaggy,
In my experience, I would not go with a deep cycle marine battery. A battery of this sort is designed to be drawn down and then recharged slowly, usually overnight with a trickle charger (2 -3 amp). Although you have an alternator, The marine deep cycle battery would not be the correct choice for this application.

There is nothing wrong with an Optima battery, they are an excellent choice for Street rods and Street/Strip cars like you have. Optima offers two different types of automotive batteries, a red top and a severe duty yellow top. I would recommend the Yellow top battery for your application and I would suggest running two of them, you can only stand to benefit from the added capacity.

For more information, check out, http://www.optimabatteries.com/publish/optima/americas0/en/config/home.html

Sparky

1 - 2 of 2 Posts