Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how much of a drop should i see between alt. and battery, it is mounted in the trunk. this is on a full frame car and negative cable is attached to the frame at the back of the car. Right now i have 14.1 at the alt. & 13.63v at the batt at 1300rpm idle.

·
Registered
70,409 Posts
What type of alt are you running ... 1-wire or OEM?
Do you have a ground wire going from the frame to the engine block?

·
Registered
9,766 Posts
What size is the wire from the alt, to the battery.????..... put a bigger one on and you'lll ave no voltage drop........ i had to run a 4 gauge on my nova and tube chassis beretta to get no drop....... and handles more amperage too.......you will notice the difference

·
Registered
70,409 Posts
Cable from frame to block should be at least 1ot guage (welding cable size!).
Well, at least 2ga with good 'solder-type' lugs on each end.

·
Registered
70,409 Posts
What size is the wire from the alt, to the battery.????..... put a bigger one on and you'lll ave no voltage drop........ i had to run a 4 gauge on my nova and tube chassis beretta to get no drop....... and handles more amperage too.......you will notice the difference
X2

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Has a 10 gauge wire from the alt to the starter. Should i run a larger wire to the starter or dedicated wire back to the battery. I have been meaning to upgrade the engine to frame ground, just don't drive this thing that much anymore. 5 miles to the gallon she has to stay in the garage.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
like said, run biggest hot line from from alt back to battery! also if u have a power cut off you will need to run from alt back to battery and not loop the power wire back into the system

·
Registered
706 Posts
Run the 10 gauge alt power to the positive starter post.
Make a new ground cable the same size as the pos batt cable. 1 from batt to frame and another from block to frame. Then run a 10 gauge ground from body to frame.
It doesnt hurt to uprgrade the alt as it uses what it needs.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Run the 10 gauge alt power to the positive starter post.
Make a new ground cable the same size as the pos batt cable. 1 from batt to frame and another from block to frame. Then run a 10 gauge ground from body to frame.
It doesnt hurt to uprgrade the alt as it uses what it needs.
if u tie in the positive off the alternator back to starter, thinking if you wanna run a power cut off switch, it wont work this way

1 - 16 of 16 Posts