Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I would like some opinions and ideas please...

My bud and I are double entering my drag truck in a few races this season. It's an S-10 with a 446 Dodge and a 727 tranny (which will change over the off season! LOL).

We're going to run 2 batteries. What I'm wondering is... Should we have both batteries working at all times? Or maybe do the quick switch between my run and his run? Or maybe run one on the first pass and plug the second one in on the second pass?

Another idea is to run the accessories on one and maybe starter and ignition on the other.

Let's hear it :)

·
T/S 368E
33,649 Posts

Any of the above, or leave it alone. How many class' are there. With dual batteries,
I would hope you could make 2 pass' before charging while the other class' run.
I've made 6-7 pass' without charging before, still ran fine, fired right up. Good luck.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There are about 5 classes... But the event I'm going to will try to hammer them through as quick as they can.

As for myself, I was thinking along the lines of leaving them both on at all times.

·
Banned
71,969 Posts
Should work ok. Get them fully charged the night before the race. Then charge them at the track after each round while you're sippin' some ice tea.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Should work ok. Get them fully charged the night before the race. Then charge them at the track after each round while you're sippin' some ice tea.
Thanks! We gave it a try... And even with 2 batteries, fully charged, we get under 12 volts with things running.

I checked my gauge against a multi meter and they were both close.

I'm wondering if we should run the MSD on one battery and the rest on the other. It did sound a little like it was missing on some runs on the weekend.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
I'd say put an alt. on it if your that serious with brackets. You'll likely pick up a little and gain some consitency. Ditch the second batt. so you can put ballast where you need it.

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
I run two batteries in my race car and charge them between rounds. I never have a problem. I use to run one battery and a Alternator. That can become a problem in late rounds. What size charger are you using to charge the batteries up? You need about a 50 amp unit so it can charge the batteries while running the cooling system between rounds. And what are you running? I run dash lights and tail lights, MSD7al, Aeromotive 2000 fuel pump, water pump and fans, and a small fan blowing on me. RM

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
How can not having to deal with a batt. charger be an issue? When I had 2 batts. and no alt I was lucky to have 12.8 on the high side. MSD needs 13 or better otherwise the coil ain't putting out enough.

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
If I could run an alternator I would just to erase any issues but I can't fit one in right now. My batteries are 12 volt and seldom have more than that voltage. My MSD seems to be fine with less than 13 volts. I ran 2 practice runs, a dash for cash and won 7 rounds a couple weeks ago with no problems at all. 7 rounds in 3.5 hrs didn't leave much time to charge batteries. I use to carry a small generator and battery charger with a air tank, spray jug to staging in a wagon so I could charge the battery and cool the car in staging years ago. I never went back to the pits just went straight to staging after every round. That could be an option for them as well. RM

·
Banned
71,969 Posts
How can not having to deal with a batt. charger be an issue? When I had 2 batts. and no alt I was lucky to have 12.8 on the high side. MSD needs 13 or better otherwise the coil ain't putting out enough.

Battery voltage sounds right w/o an alternator. The thing is is that you have doubled the available amperage of the electrical system with two batts Vs one.

No doubt MSD boxes like more voltage. The box will still work fine with 12v. If you think you want more or need more battery voltage, time to step up to a 16v battery.

·
Banned
71,969 Posts
If I could run an alternator I would just to erase any issues but I can't fit one in right now. My batteries are 12 volt and seldom have more than that voltage. My MSD seems to be fine with less than 13 volts. I ran 2 practice runs, a dash for cash and won 7 rounds a couple weeks ago with no problems at all. 7 rounds in 3.5 hrs didn't leave much time to charge batteries. I use to carry a small generator and battery charger with a air tank, spray jug to staging in a wagon so I could charge the battery and cool the car in staging years ago. I never went back to the pits just went straight to staging after every round. That could be an option for them as well. RM

McCoy, you switch that bad boy over to alcohol and you can leave that spray jug in the garage :p

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
I know Horndog but I hate the stuff. If it would start when cold without gas, didn't stink and would run off a rear mounted cell with a electric pump I might try it........LOL. I don't spray anymore unless something gets screwed up. Back when we did that we used the Moroso heater motor and cogged belt to turn the fan and the water pump. It use to take awhile to cool things off. Today with the dual fans, separate pumps and aluminium radiators things cool down pretty good. RM

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey RM!!! How the hell have you been? Haven't talked to you since the days of hotrodder.com

I have a Solar battery charger. it's 40/20/2 amp... should be ok on 12 volt high?

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
A 40 amp charger should do fine. I'm still hanging around racing when I can and getting old as dirt......LOL. Been retired 6 yrs now, wife got alot of health issues but we're hanging on doing what we can. I build some motors and do some chassis work to stay busy. Thanks for asking. RM

1 - 14 of 14 Posts