Yellow Bullet Forums banner

Bathroom exhaust fan to ceiling fan

2K views 31 replies 23 participants last post by  Bradley 
#1 ·
Anyone ever changed your exhaust fan to a ceiling fan. We always leave the doors to the bathroom open to the bedroom because the bathroom is pretty small... so I feel like there would be plenty of air movement with a ceiling fan rather than the exhaust fan.

Basically the wife is bitching about the bathroom being too hot too long after a shower. ..Takes me 5 minutes to get ready after a shower.. Takes her 45 minutes and I'll agree it does get pretty damn hot in there.

#5 ·
You want to exhaust the humidity out of the house, not into your bedroom. I causes mold. Get a higher CFM exhaust fan.
Other than the fact that he himself does not actually "causes mold" (unless he is a fungus), he is right.

But before getting a higher CFM exhaust fan, check to see if the existing one is actually functional and moving air.

#4 ·
Just say no...Works with my wife...Like hell it does.

In our high desert climate, we don't have humidity, we even have to make rust for shit likes gates, but keep the exhaust fan AND get a ceiling fan to move the air...We have ceiling fans in every room even in my garage, they rock.

#10 ·
Anyone ever changed your exhaust fan to a ceiling fan. We always leave the doors to the bathroom open to the bedroom because the bathroom is pretty small... so I feel like there would be plenty of air movement with a ceiling fan rather than the exhaust fan.

Basically the wife is bitching about the bathroom being too hot too long after a shower. ..Takes me 5 minutes to get ready after a shower.. Takes her 45 minutes and I'll agree it does get pretty damn hot in there.

Not an expert, but I was told that the fan needs to remove enough air to keep the mirror from fogging up (not scientific, but that seems to work for us). It could be your wife likes long hot showers, but when she gets out to dry off, the humidity makes her feel "sticky" or sweaty. That's probably why she wants a ceiling fan ... click that baby on high, and you'll be cool as a cucumber.

Now, with that said, there are small ceiling fans that are certified for use in bathrooms. You could always run an exhaust fan in conjunction with the ceiling fan to make her happy.

#13 · (Edited)
FANTECH Exhaust Fan...... These fans are "ultra quiet" and all you will hear is the air, make sure to properly size the CFM for the room size. PANASONIC Exhaust fans are pretty good too! Put ANY exhaust fans on a timer.

Check out: www.supplyhouse.com. for Fantech fans.

BTW! IF your wife wants to vent a fan into the bedroom do this test: Buy a Home Depot 5 gallon bucket and take a "Mexican Burrito shit" into the bucket and leave it in the bed room...... Then tell her: Honey, THIS is why you need an exhaust fan!

#29 ·
I have a bungalow with a finished upstairs so not installing a outside vent. I mount a small desk fan high, near the ceiling, to a shelf bracket and wired it to a timer that fits a standard electrical outlet box. Just for circulating air to dry out the bathroom and works great. However, isn't going to cool off the wife during a 45 minute get ready session.

#32 ·
There is a fan there, and it does work. She doesnt take really long hot showers but has some other health issues and the heat is what affects here most. The mirror most definitely fogs up though when the shower is ran.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.