Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever changed your exhaust fan to a ceiling fan. We always leave the doors to the bathroom open to the bedroom because the bathroom is pretty small... so I feel like there would be plenty of air movement with a ceiling fan rather than the exhaust fan.

Basically the wife is bitching about the bathroom being too hot too long after a shower. ..Takes me 5 minutes to get ready after a shower.. Takes her 45 minutes and I'll agree it does get pretty damn hot in there.

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh this has been explained to her.

·
Registered
7,246 Posts
Just say no...Works with my wife...Like hell it does.

In our high desert climate, we don't have humidity, we even have to make rust for shit likes gates, but keep the exhaust fan AND get a ceiling fan to move the air...We have ceiling fans in every room even in my garage, they rock.

·
Registered
16,648 Posts
You want to exhaust the humidity out of the house, not into your bedroom. I causes mold. Get a higher CFM exhaust fan.
Other than the fact that he himself does not actually "causes mold" (unless he is a fungus), he is right.

But before getting a higher CFM exhaust fan, check to see if the existing one is actually functional and moving air.

·
Former RJ instigator
42,523 Posts
I thought the purpose of the exhaust vent fan was to rid the bathroom/household of someones stinking ass shit fumes, am I missing something here? :confused: :SHTF

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Shitcan your garbage $15 bathroom fan your cheap ass builder installed as per "code". A decent quality unit with the proper ducting will solve the problem.

·
Banned
23,371 Posts
Anyone ever changed your exhaust fan to a ceiling fan. We always leave the doors to the bathroom open to the bedroom because the bathroom is pretty small... so I feel like there would be plenty of air movement with a ceiling fan rather than the exhaust fan.

Basically the wife is bitching about the bathroom being too hot too long after a shower. ..Takes me 5 minutes to get ready after a shower.. Takes her 45 minutes and I'll agree it does get pretty damn hot in there.

Not an expert, but I was told that the fan needs to remove enough air to keep the mirror from fogging up (not scientific, but that seems to work for us). It could be your wife likes long hot showers, but when she gets out to dry off, the humidity makes her feel "sticky" or sweaty. That's probably why she wants a ceiling fan ... click that baby on high, and you'll be cool as a cucumber.

Now, with that said, there are small ceiling fans that are certified for use in bathrooms. You could always run an exhaust fan in conjunction with the ceiling fan to make her happy.

·
Registered
8,451 Posts
Get the biggest cfm fan you can get and install a small ceiling fan. Problem solved.

·
Registered
9,699 Posts
FANTECH Exhaust Fan...... These fans are "ultra quiet" and all you will hear is the air, make sure to properly size the CFM for the room size. PANASONIC Exhaust fans are pretty good too! Put ANY exhaust fans on a timer.

Check out: www.supplyhouse.com. for Fantech fans.

BTW! IF your wife wants to vent a fan into the bedroom do this test: Buy a Home Depot 5 gallon bucket and take a "Mexican Burrito shit" into the bucket and leave it in the bed room...... Then tell her: Honey, THIS is why you need an exhaust fan!

·
Registered
274 Posts
I just installed a panasonic. Amazing how quiet a 140cfm exhaust fan can be. I also installed a humidistat switch in place of the normal light switch bc my wife wouldn't turn the fan on when showering.

·
Registered
9,699 Posts
I just installed a panasonic. Amazing how quiet a 140cfm exhaust fan can be. I also installed a humidistat switch in place of the normal light switch bc my wife wouldn't turn the fan on when showering.
^^^ THIS guy gets it!! 140 CFM....FTW!!

BTW! How about some pix of the wife showering???

·
Titanium Member
11,398 Posts
Get the biggest exhaust fan,the one shaped like a barrel,and cut the bottom of the bathroom door to where there is an 1,1-1/4" gap at the bottom.She'll get all the air she needs.
Plus.didnt read all the responses,but it has to be vented to at least a well ventilated attic,better outside.

·
Registered
14,975 Posts
Get the biggest exhaust fan,the one shaped like a barrel,and cut the bottom of the bathroom door to where there is an 1,1-1/4" gap at the bottom.She'll get all the air she needs.
Plus.didnt read all the responses,but it has to be vented to at least a well ventilated attic,better outside.
This ^^^ you cant get air out without letting air in.

I often times put a pass through vent on the wall into the bathroom.

·
Registered
9,699 Posts
Plus.didnt read all the responses, but it MUST be vented to VENTED TO THE outside.
FIXED!....... Never vent an exhaust fan into the attic because the humidity will ice up in the winter.

ANY EXHAUST FANS 400 CFM or larger needs make up air bought in from the outside.

·
Registered
14,975 Posts
FIXED!....... Never vent an exhaust fan into the attic because the humidity will ice up in the winter.

ANY EXHAUST FANS 400 CFM or larger needs make up air bought in from the outside.
Kinda depends on the zone said attic is in. A large well ventilated attic in South Carolina is not likely hold a lot of humidity and damn sure won't freeze up.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts