Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
I am The Dentist
50,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gonna be 45 this year, so I gotta buy a .45!

It won't be a carry-gun, just something to go to the gun range with, maybe take hunting with me.

I like traditional... I drive a '76 Dodge Power Wagon, and am replacing it with a '61 Chevy factory 4x4 that I'm going to start this winter. I hunt deer with an iron-sight .30-30, and rabbits with a single-shot .410.

Everything I own and use, is an anvil. Simple, basic, reliable, tough.

So I'm looking at the Colt, Government Model or Commander, "base-model," and the Remington R1, same versions. Basic, stripped-down models that got the job done for 80 years, two world wars, Korea and Viet Nam.

Of the two (Colt and Remington), what are the pros and cons of the guns? Manufactured parts (stamped vs. machined), fit, finish, feel, reliability.

-Brad

·
Registered
792 Posts
I own a Colt Govt. and it is the way to go. Stone reliable. Nice traditional sharp/crisp edges. All metal throughout. Won't jam. Colt created the 1911. Many have copied. Get the Govt. The Remington is a softened copy.

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
I have the Combat Commander in stainless-it is a great gun, reliable (as pointed out above), and it feels right in my hand-

·
Intellectual Turd Chaser
6,123 Posts
1911s aren't really my thing but I've heard good stuff about the commander.

·
Long Live The King
105,006 Posts

Of the two (Colt and Remington), what are the pros and cons of the guns? Manufactured parts (stamped vs. machined), fit, finish, feel, reliability.

-Brad

I have a Rem R-1 and a couple other 1911's. The R-1 has a great trigger and shoots well. My first 1911 was a used Smith and Wesson that had several 1,000 rounds through it. For the price they are pretty good guns.. mine is damn accurate with the stock barrel

25 yards off a rest:

·
Banned
16,548 Posts
Sig.

·
Registered
12,976 Posts
For what you are looking at, the Springfield mil spec would be a better option (imo of course, but all 3 should function perfect and make you a happy shooter).

·
Just a Mean Ol' Phucker
21,399 Posts

It won't be a carry-gun, just something to go to the gun range with, maybe take hunting with me.

I like traditional... I drive a '76 Dodge Power Wagon, and am replacing it with a '61 Chevy factory 4x4 that I'm going to start this winter. I hunt deer with an iron-sight .30-30, and rabbits with a single-shot .410.

Everything I own and use, is an anvil. Simple, basic, reliable, tough.

So I'm looking at the Colt, Government Model or Commander, "base-model," and the Remington R1, same versions. Basic, stripped-down models that got the job done for 80 years, two world wars, Korea and Viet Nam.

-Brad
Brad, look at the Springfield models too. I'm a SA fan, as you know, but they do a nice, basic .45 too.

·
Registered
12,976 Posts
Brad, look at the Springfield models too. I'm a SA fan, as you know, but they do a nice, basic .45 too.
I'm not a springfield fan, but they make solid 1911's, both entry level and one of the best all around bang for the bucks available (TRP). :p

·
Just a Mean Ol' Phucker
21,399 Posts
I'm not a springfield fan, but they make solid 1911's, both entry level and one of the best all around bang for the bucks available (TRP). :p
About 20 years ago you could buy a .45 in a bag (EVERY PART!)from SA. We'd spend about 3 hours polishing and assembly and have a hell of a nice shooting .45 for under 150.00!

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
COLT.

This is my COLT Commander. Model 04691.

Just a basic no frills gun. Cost me $720.00 OTD in 2006. It's a quality piece, totally reliable and shoots like a house on fire.
Will

·
Registered
22,179 Posts
What is the cheapest reliable 1911, .45 out there?

A bag of parts for $150 and several hours, GREAT!!

pdq67

pdq67

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
I just bought a Dan Wesson. I wasn't too impressed after shooting it. The older Colts are much better. The newer Colts are not. I think an older colt is the way to go.

I have more faith in my glock 17 than every handgun I've shot. No matter what I do it will not malfunction. I have a 50rd drum and it spits them out as fast as you can move your finger.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts