Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, i'm needing a little help with a baseline on a nitrous tuneup. We aren't wanting to throw a ton of nitrous at this thing but we would like to hit it with 150 to start, and then once we get a handle on things try to hit it a little harder. We will be running this in a local 275 radial class.

My buddy bought the car running with this motor setup.

General engine specs:

LS2 block 6 liter
Cam (243/247 .625".625" 113+3lsa)
Diamond pistons
Diamond rings (.022 top, .026 2nd) not sure how far these gaps will take us
Stock crank
Eagle H-beam rods
ARP main studs
ARP head studs
Cometic .040" head gaskets
AFR 205 heads (11:1 compression)
FAST 92 intake ported by Tony Mamo @ AFR
NW 92mm throttle body
LS2 lifters
Lingenfelter high volume oil pump
FMS 42lb injectors
Racetronix fuel system
SLP Underdrive pulley
Speed density tuning with EFIlive COS by me

Drive train:

RMVB TH350 with brake
9 inch, 4.11 gear
275/60 radials

Nitrous:
HSW 92mm Plate starting with a .062 N
Cheater solenoids
HSW microedge + controller
Low pressure standalone system

I'm curious as to what fuel pressure, fuel jet and plug to start with.. we will be purchasing a IS flow tool soon, but we don't have one just yet. i've got a couple of sets of BR7EF plugs, but wasn't sure if we should go with 8's.. eventually we would like to push this setup as far as the motor or plate will take us without burning shit up.

I'm really to do this right, and I've done a fair amount of homework, but it always helps to have a extra set of eyes on things..

·
out of work hair dresser
8,341 Posts
Quench is too tight with the .040" gaskets but you'll be ok with the small 150 hit. The more nitrous you add, the more spot on the tune will have to be.

"Diamond rings" isn't enough info. What rings do you specifically have?

You'll be much better off with a 3.73 or 3.42 gear.

Stand alone fuel system or not?

·
Puttin'er in the beams!
1,336 Posts
I've got all kinda of tuneup information from my car, with a similar setup, but my fuel is all high pressure. You'll def meet the limits of that plate before you find the limits of your motor.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quench is too tight with the .040" gaskets but you'll be ok with the small 150 hit. The more nitrous you add, the more spot on the tune will have to be.

"Diamond rings" isn't enough info. What rings do you specifically have?

You'll be much better off with a 3.73 or 3.42 gear.

Stand alone fuel system or not?
I believe the heads were milled .017 with those gaskets actually as well.

The rings are whatever this standard shit is that comes with the 11541 pistons I believe, unfortunately nothing special i'd bet.

We actually just switched the gear to a 4.11 from a 3.50 LOL, why better off with less gear?

Yes, low pressure fuel system with a holley blue pump, mallory regulator and 1 gal cell.

Another question would be what fuel should we run in this turd?

I imagine the max we will ever hit this thing with would be a 200 rwhp shot as long as the distribution still looks alright. Of course we plan to shut the engine down at the strip and pull and cut all the plugs as well.

·
out of work hair dresser
8,341 Posts
It doesn't matter at the amount of milling of the head. The quench pad will always be in the same place regardless. .005" out of the hole and a .040" gasket leaves you an absolute bottom quench for running N/A on pump gas.

More than likely they're iron Moly faced rings. You'll be fine with 200 and less of nitrous if you can keep the detonation at bay.

Nitrous is a power multiplier and is instant torque. An engine with nitrous want's to have to work a little. The more gear there is, the more free the engine comes to life and the quicker the RPM's come with it. Less gear makes it eat and the suspension dig.

On the jetting and the plate................I just don't know. I really like the HSW plate but have never done any serious drag racing with them.

With your current setup I'd run at least 110 octane since you'll be hunting the tune.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It doesn't matter at the amount of milling of the head. The quench pad will always be in the same place regardless. .005" out of the hole and a .040" gasket leaves you an absolute bottom quench for running N/A on pump gas.

More than likely they're iron Moly faced rings. You'll be fine with 200 and less of nitrous if you can keep the detonation at bay.

Nitrous is a power multiplier and is instant torque. An engine with nitrous want's to have to work a little. The more gear there is, the more free the engine comes to life and the quicker the RPM's come with it. Less gear makes it eat and the suspension dig.

On the jetting and the plate................I just don't know. I really like the HSW plate but have never done any serious drag racing with them.

With your current setup I'd run at least 110 octane since you'll be hunting the tune.
Ok cool I gotcha on the quench.

I understand the gearing as well, we'll give it a shot and work from there. We can always throw the 3.50's back in if needed.

As far as the jetting goes, I thought about starting with a .062N and .056 fuel at 6 psi with 8 degrees out, i'd imagine that would be rich but maybe we can work with it to back some fuel out to get the fuel ring right, then play with the timing.

As far as the 110 fuel, should we run 110 for the motor as well as the standalone? Another person told us to try 110 for the motor and 116 in the standalone.. would this be overkill?

I really appreciate your help man, your knowledge is very valuable to newb asses like us. :drinkers:

·
out of work hair dresser
8,341 Posts
Again, on the jetting, I'm not familiar with the plate enough to comment. Anything I say would be pure speculation. I'd really recommend calling Nick at HSW and get his feed back and work from there.

If I was going to split fuels, I'd run 93 in the tank and 116 in the standalone. Otherwise I'd just run 110 flat in both and be done with it.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Again, on the jetting, I'm not familiar with the plate enough to comment. Anything I say would be pure speculation. I'd really recommend calling Nick at HSW and get his feed back and work from there.

If I was going to split fuels, I'd run 93 in the tank and 116 in the standalone. Otherwise I'd just run 110 flat in both and be done with it.
Good deal, i'll report back with some results when get everything finished up.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
One a side note, what do you guys think this POS will run at 4000-5000 ft DA at 3400-3500 lbs granted we get it to leave decent on radials?

Only passes we have with it was with the 6 speed and it went 7.78 @ 92 all over the place spinning, hitting the limiter..etc.. with a weak 1.75 on little shitty 26x10.5 ET Streets that begged for mercy.. i'm thinking it should go a bit faster on motor with the auto in it.

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
Depending on the converter and how tight/loose it is that thing should run high 6's/low 7's N/A.. I agree that the 4.10s are probably gonna be too much. The more gear you run the harder it is to get the 60ft down pat. IF you get it to hook with the 4.10s and the low 1st gear ratio of the th350 its gonna try to stand up probably. But it should run low 7's N/A for sure if the combo is good and it should get in the high 5's/low 6's on 200. I don't have a clue how much the DA is gonna affect you.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Depending on the converter and how tight/loose it is that thing should run high 6's/low 7's N/A.. I agree that the 4.10s are probably gonna be too much. The more gear you run the harder it is to get the 60ft down pat. IF you get it to hook with the 4.10s and the low 1st gear ratio of the th350 its gonna try to stand up probably. But it should run low 7's N/A for sure if the combo is good and it should get in the high 5's/low 6's on 200. I don't have a clue how much the DA is gonna affect you.
The converter is a PTC we got with the transmission that was previously in another f-body with a 408 and around the same amount of nitrous, they had it spec'd by PTC. They said it would go to 5500 on the brake with that car.. Not sure if it really did though. I'm sure it will act different with this car with a smaller motor. We would love to see some low 7's on motor with this thing and some low 6's on the juice, that would actually be better than the goals we had for it..LOL.

The owner of this car made a $1000 bet with another guy that it could go faster than a 6.60 on a 200 shot.. the other guy says no way.. we aim to take his money. :)

We do have a progressive controller that we can play with as well as delays etc.. I'd like to give it everything off the brake but we will work at it and see what she does. We plan to run a Hoosier 275 radial.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Should easily go 6.60. That DA is crap though. for comparison my stock headed 346 has been 6.20 on 72 jet. thats at about 500DA though and 3400lbs.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Should easily go 6.60. That DA is crap though. for comparison my stock headed 346 has been 6.20 on 72 jet. thats at about 500DA though and 3400lbs.
Yes sir, we are at 2800 ft out here and the DA's go anywhere from 3000 on a good day to 6000+ in the summer.

I saw the post on your car, very impressive man.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
We are getting ready to do some testing with this thing..

As far as plugs, would a BR7EF plug work, or should be start with a set of 8's??

·
out of work hair dresser
8,341 Posts
Start with the 7's and monitor them for excessive heat. If they show to be too hot then go to the 8's.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Start with the 7's and monitor them for excessive heat. If they show to be too hot then go to the 8's.
Thanks!

We'll give it hell and see what happens.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts