Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A buddys dad had a 72 ford maverick sitting in his garage untouched in the last 16 years. He knew I was into the go fast and picked it up for a song. Here is what he told me: He use to run it in a GRH? class with a 4 speed. The transmission was replaced with a glide and 4500 rpm stall. The engine is a 0.060 350 with angle milled heads, domed pistons, 2-660 center squirt carbs, no idea of rear end type or gear just "low". The cam is a crane "experimental" camshaft solid roller. He ran 116 octane in it. His best time was with the 4 speed at 10.02 shifting at 9000 and going through the traps at 9500.
Honestly I have never had a car like this I don't really know what I am doing. The goal is to get it running, update safety stuff then run it at the track and go from there.

·
Long Live The King
106,852 Posts
Very nice.

Pull the “belly button” engine and put a Ford in it.

·
Registered
6,734 Posts
Nice ride! Congrats. Dad races a blue 70 Maverick with a bbc in it. Think 2nd pair of cars in this video:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Borrowed some racegas from by buddy and the battery out of my tractor and it fired up. Maverick This thing is stupid loud honestly it kind of scares me.

·
Registered
8,486 Posts
A buddys dad had a 72 ford maverick sitting in his garage untouched in the last 16 years. He knew I was into the go fast and picked it up for a song. Here is what he told me: He use to run it in a GRH? class with a 4 speed. The transmission was replaced with a glide and 4500 rpm stall. The engine is a 0.060 350 with angle milled heads, domed pistons, 2-660 center squirt carbs, no idea of rear end type or gear just "low". The cam is a crane "experimental" camshaft solid roller. He ran 116 octane in it. His best time was with the 4 speed at 10.02 shifting at 9000 and going through the traps at 9500.
Honestly I have never had a car like this I don't really know what I am doing. The goal is to get it running, update safety stuff then run it at the track and go from there. View attachment 247014 View attachment 247015
Nice time capsule!

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Honestly I have never had a car like this I don't really know what I am doing. The goal is to get it running, update safety stuff then run it at the track and go from there. View attachment 247014 View attachment 247015
That car is cool as hell.

Don't change anything.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
VERY COOL !!! correct a few things and RUN IT !

·
Long Live The King
106,852 Posts
Why would he want to slow it down?
Post 9 he already said it scares him 😉.

Love the car and the fact it's a 4 speed. .... but as a Ford guy, well ya know :)

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
Man that thing is cool!!!! And with the slots and gold Moroso valve covers its gotta be fast. Lol. Time capsule indeed. I agree with getting safety handled first and then go have fun. Of all the Ford cars out there the Mavericks are the better looking ones. Take it slow, learn the car and above all be safe.

·
Registered
19,766 Posts
cool car, do not change the appearance of it . Love the old school look with the stance and the sloted wheels.
As others have said do the safety improvements and that includes all 4 tires even if they look good, 16 years is way to long for tires.

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
Cool car! The very first thing that you need to do is ditch that plastic fuel filter and rubber fuel lines. That is a fire waiting to happen. Honestly
Only update what's necessary for safety reasons.... I am not a crossdresser guy myself however this is oldschool and appears to be a nice one at that....

JW

1 - 20 of 35 Posts