Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have the exact wording of this new rule? I know it won't be required yet but I have the car apart retubbing it and figure I'll add one now and be done with it. How long does the tube need to be past the front joint and what material? I already have dual hoops so just need to add the tube.

·
Registered
570 Posts
i glanced over it and i think it required complete enclosure in the pass compartment and a rear or 3rd loop at the pinion like pro mod/ pro stock cars.

on a side note: hope barbs recovery is going well if anyone from team midnight sees this.

·
Registered
570 Posts
yes, as of now its only for cars that have the factory floor removed and quicker than 7.50.

.050 4130 or titanium i believe are the only accepted materials.

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My car is MS and only certified for 7.50 so I guess I am OK then. Is there a place I can read the rule? I keep hearing about it but have yet to read it anywhere. I may just go ahead and install one anyway. I've seen several driveshafts bust in 3 peices in cars much slower than 7.50. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
6,443 Posts
I only have an 8.0 car but I will be putting one in... RJ sell's a very nice kit for it. Look what happened to Barb, how much does your arm and leg and ribs cost? Prolly a little bit more expensive than a $400 driveshaft tunnel.

That and the rear pinion cover are probably two of the best safety items that have come out lately.

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
From what I read it isn't required til Jan 2012 but I got my car apart now so I figured I'd just install it now. But I would like to read the rule so I get it right. It has to be more than the tunnel since that has been required for awhile now. Have you seen it Kyle or know where we can find it to read it?

·
Registered
305 Posts
I just rec this e-mail from My local NHRA guy...

Carl,

Here is that rule change on the drivetrain change...

Beginning Jan. 1, 2012 all full-bodied vehicles, where the OEM floor has
been
removed, each end of driveshaft must have round 360-degree driveshaft loops
within 6 inches of U-joints. Additionally, driveshaft must be covered by
360-
degree tube, covering the front U-joint and extending rearward a minimum 12
inches. Minimum thickness of tube is .050-inch chromoly or titanium.
Driveshaft
tube must utilize a minimum of four attachment points to the chassis, either
bolted with minimum 5/16 SAE bolts or welded or 1/4-inch push/pull pins. See
General Regulations 2:4.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Hope this helps,
Carl

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I read that as all full bodied vehicles without a stock steel floor pan, no mention of any ET certification.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I have a back halfed chevelle that has the stock floor pan from behind the drivers seat forward will I still need full tunnel ? Thanks for any info. Car has a 8.50 cert.

·
Registered
516 Posts
That raises some questions, as we have a chassis car with an aluminum floor that currently certs to 8.50. I'm now wondering if we will have to add this enclosure before we get it re-certified?

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
At the end of this it says General Regulations 2.4 so what is that?

Beginning Jan. 1, 2012 all full-bodied vehicles, where the OEM floor has been
removed, each end of driveshaft must have round 360-degree driveshaft loops
within 6 inches of U-joints. Additionally, driveshaft must be covered by 360-
degree tube, covering the front U-joint and extending rearward a minimum 12
inches. Minimum thickness of tube is .050-inch chromoly or titanium. Driveshaft
tube must utilize a minimum of four attachment points to the chassis, either
bolted with minimum 5/16 SAE bolts or welded or 1/4-inch push/pull pins. See
General Regulations 2:4.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts