Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
but fuck "SPI" epoxy and all the bandwagon bullshit that goes along with it. Fucken garbage boutique crap, all the "rumored problems"are real. Cost me a paint job and I'm sick and tired. I don't have the time or money to redo the whole car in and out.
Lesson learned the hard way, again.:smt093 $4000 of base and clear in the garbage.
No more being nice.
Anyone who hasn't used it consider yourself warned as was I.

·
Registered
12,999 Posts
What happened? Care to enlighten us?

I've never used it, but would like to hear what happened.

·
43,343 Posts
I haven't either. I have posted the link to their "plastic filler over their epoxy primer" YouTube video a few times because I thought it was a good example of that procedure,...which I have done with other epoxies, but not theirs.

What happened. Don't worry,...I highly doubt you are in jeopardy of getting the ban hammer.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
used a hand full SPI products and wasn't impressed with any of it...I'll stick to my Wanda for cheap shit that works

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I finished writing a whole paragraph and it disappeared!

Sorry but I'm livid. I thought I was passed it knowing full well that a repaint was in my future but man I cant breath on the car that the paint chips right off if your lucky. Its complete delamination.
Everywhere the epoxy was used the paint flakes, chips, or just fall off. I peeled a door off in two sheets. I took a razor scored the window channel front and rear, peeled that paint off and used the last bit of base I had left to repaint it. Why? I knew the windows would rip right off the car. Today I went to install the door locks and there goes more paint, that was the last straw.
I find out that I'm not the only one there have been many. The fan boys love to blame everything and everyone except their beloved gift of epoxy. I wonder how many paint jobs out there are a catastrophe waiting to happen? Everywhere I used cheap epoxy sealer the paint is perfect. Cheap epoxy and paint is perfect!
Car is almost done and I have to redo everything. Ill stick with the big boy brands from now on if there is "from now on"

I dont have the funds, the want, time, passion, or facilities to redo it. I guess I'm done. Looks like the car has a date with the crusher.

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I finished writing a whole paragraph and it disappeared!

Sorry but I'm livid. I thought I was passed it knowing full well that a repaint was in my future but man I cant breath on the car that the paint chips right off if your lucky. Its complete delamination.
Everywhere the epoxy was used the paint flakes, chips, or just fall off. I peeled a door off in two sheets. I took a razor scored the window channel front and rear, peeled that paint off and used the last bit of base I had left to repaint it. Why? I knew the windows would rip right off the car. Today I went to install the door locks and there goes more paint, that was the last straw.
I find out that I'm not the only one there have been many. The fan boys love to blame everything and everyone except their beloved gift of epoxy. I wonder how many paint jobs out there are a catastrophe waiting to happen?
Car is almost done and I have to redo everything. Ill stick with the big boy brands from now on if there is "from now on"

I dont have the funds, the want, time, passion, or facilities to redo it. I guess I'm done. Looks like the car has a date with the crusher.

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
No.

Different parts were sealed and sprayed at different dates with all the same outcome. Either way too little too late. I had a bad experience with that product and I'm paying the ultimate price for it.
In addition the last of the product was split up into pints, mixed sprayed with different reductions, flash times, various bases. The sheet was also sprayed with various other primer brands and SPI 2k without failure. SPI reducer was used exclusively also. I gave my last pint to a friend to test on a tank doing a practice graphic and if failed. He uses SPI and continues to but I will no longer, I gave him my remaining gallon of 2k and clear kit hes happy. Nothing wrong with their clear other than being soft but I purged everything. If I was thinking correctly I should have filmed it.

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
You spent 4000 on base and clear?
I have never used spi anything so I don't know about there prices. You can get a gallon of 2021 ppg for 400 and have a terrific clear.
Yup cause it says stupid right across my forehead. Only the epoxy was SPI.
Base (two gallons +) two quarts different color, reducers, and clears, and a gallon of W&G remover, all came up from the states with the money exchange, shipping, and boarder taxes I'm pretty close to that. Its like $2700 US dollars. I didn't bother me too much at the time since I just wanted to get "my " car done and off the stand asap. Solvent was no longer available up here that's why i crossed the boarder and didn't want a few hundred bucks to make the difference between using a cheap brand vs expensive. I didn't want to hear hey you should have used Deltron and not omni if something went wrong. In the end Omni would have been sufficient.
The only good thing to come out of this thank God this wasn't a customers car.
I should have followed my own advice, stick with what works, keep it all one manufacture.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
I have said it before here, we have a blasting shop, used SPI for cost reasons, Multiple different issues including WHALE EYES when spraying, would simply separate, Super sensitive to temperature. it says 65 degrees, better not use it at 66 degrees (Can use DP way colder then that). Clogs paper like a MFer when you sand it, We switched back to PPG DP primer, even before we got the great deal was worth the extra money

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Those WHALE EYES was the first problem I started encountering. Fan boys say its pressure at the wall. I've sprayed DP in the winter with success I wish I could get that still including DBC Deltron.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
No.

Different parts were sealed and sprayed at different dates with all the same outcome. Either way too little too late. I had a bad experience with that product and I'm paying the ultimate price for it.
In addition the last of the product was split up into pints, mixed sprayed with different reductions, flash times, various bases. The sheet was also sprayed with various other primer brands and SPI 2k without failure. SPI reducer was used exclusively also. I gave my last pint to a friend to test on a tank doing a practice graphic and if failed. He uses SPI and continues to but I will no longer, I gave him my remaining gallon of 2k and clear kit hes happy. Nothing wrong with their clear other than being soft but I purged everything. If I was thinking correctly I should have filmed it.
So you used the SPI reduced down as a sealer? Just trying to clarify, and what was the top coats? Bad deal for sure!

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
PPG and Prospray as top coats.

Not to sound like a dick or attack as its not my intent as it may come across Bugger but its not the final wash, its not the flash and defiantly not the wall pressure. These were the first things I was told by customer service and went through it when it started to fish eye. These are the first things everyone says but its not that. >>> and telling someone to jack up wall pressure to 135+ psi and then to regulate it back down to 15-30psi at the gun is insane. Yes you have pressure but you do NOT have volume of air. I have also tried like some suggested light coat first then heavier, but this time it was being used as a sealer. It may be a great product for some who swear by it I have no problem with that including saying it is very strong primer but extremely unpredictable. To unpredictable to reuse ever again.
I seen and read the horror stories associated with it and I ignored them. You see people complaining about other products being cheap etc but one product with the same problems coming up over and over and the getting the same responses should have been a red flag.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
All I can sat is I have a trailer we own, work trailer that get KILLED, that we sandblasted and DP90LF in the winter, outside near 45 degrees (Not suggested), It sprayed fine and is absolutely fine 5 years later, BTW, We never top coated it, it is raw DP90 and it lives outside in Florida rain, The Other stuff, 60 anything degrees and it separated like crazy, had to lacquer thinner wipe those areas and dry fog it in those areas, Bullshit.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I use spi epoxy all the time with no problems. It has a learning curve just like any product your not used too or haven't used before. The peeling problem is not part of that curve the separation is. This thread started out about a delamanation issue not whale eyes. As long as you spray it like base instead of a heavy primer it doesn't whale eye. If you want help with what made your paint peel post some pics .If I read it right the epoxy didn't peel it was the base? Just trying to help, it doesnt matter to me if you or anybody else uses spi I do and will continue too, it works and I like it. If you used it as a sealer did you wait a few hours before top coating[base] it? if not that could be your issue since its epoxy not a sealer it dries slow and will tightn up or shrink at a faster rate then the base hence stretching and pulling the base which would case a problem. Like I said, if you want help figuring it out post some pics of the failure maybe me or someone else here will see something.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts