Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About to install a set of BAM needle bearing solid roller lifters. What is the best way to prep these before putting them in? Do I simply clean and oil them, leaving the grease in the roller wheel? Or do I soak them in solvent to clean out the grease from the roller wheel and then oil the lifter and wheel/axle?

The Comp Cams lifters instruct you to remove the grease and soak lifter before install. I’ve also installed other brands that instruct you to not remove the grease before installing. These lifters came with no info.

·
Registered
778 Posts
I would use a break in oil at first also. The last lifters and even roller rockers I got said to use break in oil.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I've had instructions before that said not to remove the assembly lube. I don't see what it would hurt to spray them off and soak in an oil bath.

·
Registered
13,210 Posts
I would check with Brad in the morning. He told me to blow them off, dunk in the oil I'm using and install.

Please double check though.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
I’m running BAMs. I Wipe them with lacquer thinner on a rag and soak them before install. No problems. I think whatever lube is oN The bearings should stay..... reason being, although they are oiled to the roller, it’s not pressure fed, so that first start up they should be lubed from the git go. That’s my thinking, anyway. Make sure the pushrod is seated right, the BAMS have a flat area next to the cup that can hold some pushrods.

·
Registered
9,367 Posts
I’m running BAMs. I Wipe them with lacquer thinner on a rag and soak them before install. No problems. I think whatever lube is oN The bearings should stay..... reason being, although they are oiled to the roller, it’s not pressure fed, so that first start up they should be lubed from the git go. That’s my thinking, anyway. Make sure the pushrod is seated right, the BAMS have a flat area next to the cup that can hold some pushrods.
Thought you were such a GS lifter fan??

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
I actually do like the GS lifters better, because of the pressure oiling, but Glenn was less than honest with me... So I've got two pair of BAMs in a mixed set now... until I can afford something else. With the new heads it's easy to pull those two pair and keep an eye on them, without pulling the intake. Car is MUCH happier with the Brodix heads!

·
Registered
778 Posts
I actually do like the GS lifters better, because of the pressure oiling, but Glenn was less than honest with me... So I've got two pair of BAMs in a mixed set now... until I can afford something else. With the new heads it's easy to pull those two pair and keep an eye on them, without pulling the intake. Car is MUCH happier with the Brodix heads!
It says "pressure fed oiling provides continuous oil to the axle and roller bearing" on the BAM web page

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
I’ve had the GS lifters apart and they have an .018 hole from the pushrod oil supply to the roller, straight down. I can’t find that on the BAM, just a tiny feed from the side..... am I missing it?
Thx!

·
Registered
730 Posts
I’ve had the GS lifters apart and they have an .018 hole from the pushrod oil supply to the roller, straight down. I can’t find that on the BAM, just a tiny feed from the side..... am I missing it?
Thx!
Straight down from the pushrod cup doesn't get you to the needle rollers in the wheel....to oil the needles you've got to get over to the side of the wheel at the axle and at the end of the needles to do it.

If I had to guess, I'd say the .018" hole you can see from the center of the pushrod cup is just the top end oiling restriction to prevent oil coming in from the oil band of the lifter and high pressure galley from having a wide open flood up the pushrod and piling a bunch of unneeded oil on the head.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Not in the center, it's off to the side, comes down on the axle. I'll see if I can find one that's apart and get a pic.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts