Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son and I were looking for a quality yet affordable Balisong knife. The Benchmade 42is the best but has been out of production for quite some time and the ones I located were way out of reasonable. Anyone have any suggestions? If nothing else, we will buy some cheapo's for now and just keep our eyes open. Thanks in advance for any assistance.

·
102,312 Posts
Check your state laws about buying butterfly knives.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Is there even such a thing as a quality set of Balisong knives? I mean, what are they even used for other than show? Those model 42's are ridiculously expensive regardless.
Not being negative... just never seen them other than in movies.

·
Registered
839 Posts
The Benchmade Balisong is a sweet piece. I had one many years ago. They are expensive compared to the many cheap knockoffs.
Only thing the swing was tight. So if you are trying to flick it, it is more difficult. Plus the half sharpened top blade causes alot of accidents when flicking it

The fastest cheapie Butterfly that I had was from a place AWMA. They had two models. once was a dangerous half sharpened back bladed, black model
The other was an a regular drop point blade, it had a dragon on the blade. The handles are as thick as the benchmade, but the action was fast and the non sharpened back blade
made it really easy to flick.
I just checked. The company is still around. But no Butterfly Knives???

·
Registered
468 Posts
Buttefly knives are sweet .....if you know how to properly brandish one.. LMAO !! But you guys are right..all show!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
If you know how to flip one they are far from all show. I carry a Bradley Mayhem all the time, and it's razor sharp and I can have it open in about a half a second after I touch it. The best bang for your buck will be a Bradley Kimura or a Benchmade 53. You can get the Kimura in about 6 different configurations or the BM 53 in plain edge or part serrated. I like the BM 53 better, but the Kimura is very solid and flips really nice. Kimura's are about $80-$100. Benchmade 53 is around $140-$150. If you want to go even cheaper check out Bear brand. They are ok and you can get one for about $25-$30. I just sold a Spyderco Spyderfly, but personally, I don't like how they don't lock open, and how they get quite a bit wider towards the bottom of the knife. Check out www.bladehq.com if you want to see most all decent quality butterfly's/balisong's. They have decent prices also.

J

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
If you know how to flip one they are far from all show. I carry a Bradley Mayhem all the time, and it's razor sharp and I can have it open in about a half a second after I touch it. The best bang for your buck will be a Bradley Kimura or a Benchmade 53. You can get the Kimura in about 6 different configurations or the BM 53 in plain edge or part serrated. I like the BM 53 better, but the Kimura is very solid and flips really nice. Kimura's are about $80-$100. Benchmade 53 is around $140-$150. If you want to go even cheaper check out Bear brand. They are ok and you can get one for about $25-$30. I just sold a Spyderco Spyderfly, but personally, I don't like how they don't lock open, and how they get quite a bit wider towards the bottom of the knife. Check out www.bladehq.com if you want to see most all decent quality butterfly's/balisong's. They have decent prices also.

J
A fixed blade beats the flip on deploy speed. but I don't doubt there are exceptions... but really, much like Chinese Wushu sword fighting and kung Fu, it's a lot of show and wasted movement.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
For the record, I'm not wanting my son to have it for the sake of making movies or attacking anyone nor as a weapon for my own personal use---I'm a gun guy. You guys were young once---they're just cool and my son is very deserving (He worked hard and made all A's this 9wks). If nothing else, it is good for hand-eye coordination.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
For the record, I'm not wanting my son to have it for the sake of making movies or attacking anyone nor as a weapon for my own personal use---I'm a gun guy. You guys were young once---they're just cool and my son is very deserving (He worked hard and made all A's this 9wks). If nothing else, it is good for hand-eye coordination.
Heck yea! I apologize for being critical. I totally wanted one when I was a kid too. Well, that and nun-chucks :)!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts