Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im just curious as to what you guys have done about getting your beadlock wheel/tire setups balanced.

Awhile back I purchased a set of 15x10 billet specialties double beadlocks and 275/60 MT street radial pro's for car that is 95% track and 5% street. Sees about 40-50 miles a year on the street if that and I have yet to run these on the track. Just taken the car down the road etc on them.

I had a very hard time finding a local place to mount them. There are no shops around that specialize in racing or offroad type stuff. Almost every place I took them to said it was because of "liability issues". Finally a place did it for me no problem but came back saying they tried to balance them and they were both 30 something oz's out. I told them don't even bother trying to stick that many weights on it.

15 psi its a bit bumpy starting at 60 not but not too bad
20 psi it starts getting a bit bumpy at 50
25 psi at 50 it starts getting pretty bad and I don't think id feel comfortable going over 70 to keep it simple.

So for all you guys with beadlocks what have you done to balance them/get them balanced? Ive done a bit of research and cant find anything that's really tell tell. My guess is they didn't get the tire dead center?

·
Registered
750 Posts
Good question, I need the same info on balancing beadlocks.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hopefully we will figure something out. So far all I have read/come to a conclusion based on reading a bit on the internet is:

1. Some sort of bead balancing - I believe this is some sort of half ass way people do it that want to run beadlocks on their street trucks/jeeps/etc to look cool. Rather than practical use. Something along the lines of pouring bb's or similar into the tires and it creates a balance.

2. Center the tire and try again, and repeat until you get decent results.

3. A beadlock wheel/tire combination cant be balanced correctly just live with it.

1 and 3 just seem flat out shitty and half assed. 2 makes sense. I know no one that runs such wheels so I thought asking here may provide some insight. Hopefully someone can help out.

·
Registered
5,761 Posts
Why don't you mount them yourself? That is what makes bead locks nice.

If they need that much weight, the tires aren't mounted right. I've never seen one this bad.

·
Registered
22 Posts
^^^ What he said, you should be able to mount and dismount the tires yourself. I don't really have any experience with them but I did the ones on my car just putting on tires to mock it up and roll it around and it's pretty easy.

As far as balancing goes I have been told they should be balanced using a bubble balancer not a spin balancer which is how I see Mickey Thompson do them at the track.

·
Registered
13,344 Posts
Cant you just use a balancer and stick on weights? Thats how I did my Holeshot single beadlocks. I would try turning that tire around 180 degrees on the rim with the tire 30 oz off. Something seems wrong there.

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Bump

·
Registered
563 Posts
I don't know how well it works or what its limitations are, but i recently saw a product that goes in the tire to balance it. looks kinda like small plastic shot.

Its called Equal. Great for big truck tires. I think it would be a bad idea in this application.

·
Registered
9,589 Posts
Not sure if its your rims being out of balance that bad but i can tell you i bought some MT Pro Drag Radials and when i went to get them balanced it was a joke.. needed an unreal amount of weights so i just said screw it..then read on YB i wasn't alone.. everyone that had these tires had to add ALOT of weight to them to get them balanced.

·
Registered
664 Posts
after the 2nd John Force Burnout the tires will have balanced them selves !!!! ie takes the heavy spots off!!
Frank

·
Brewmaster
12,620 Posts
Dyna beads is one thing I've seen for years, never tried. Another thing people do is use airsoft bb's. First choice would be to rotate the tire on the wheel and check balance again.

·
Registered
616 Posts
I've had hoosier drag radials need a ton of weight but my Mickey pros didn't need much. I've spun the wheels without tires and they come out almost perfect (weld 2.0 double bead locks). One of the main reasons I have bead locks is so I can change tires in the garage. A friend of mine has a snap on balancer he bought from a pro stock team. We use stick on weights

·
Registered
728 Posts
As others have already said, the best and only way to balance them is with an old bubble balancer. I don't think they even make them anymore, but if you have a tire shop in your area that's been in business for at least 40 years they may still have one collection dust in the back. I've found two that way, and two more at auctions for tire shop going out of business. If they don't give it to you just to get it out of their way, you probably won't have to pay more than $50 for it. And you can make a lot of extra money with one, at least enough to pay for your entry fee, gas, and plugs.

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
As others have already said, the best and only way to balance them is with an old bubble balancer. I don't think they even make them anymore.
You can buy a bubble balancer at Harbor Freight still. that's what I use to balance my BDL beadlocks. I also got the stick on wheel weights from McMastercarr.

http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?q=bubble+balancer

Like what has been said, Mount the tires yourself. Remove the bead lock rings from wheel. then you can pretty much push the wheel into the tire by hand & then a few short pry bars to pry the bead over the other side of the rim. Bolt the bead lock ring on & then bubble balance.

I stamp a # on each wheel & ring so the ring always goes on the same rim on same side same location

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I dont believe stick on weights are intended for racecars. Think what will happen when one comes flying off. No thanks. Rotate it the tire around to get it best you can, might try different length bolts to balance it out. Not sure how much space the rims you guys are talking about have i run dirt track stuff.

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
I dont believe stick on weights are intended for racecars. Think what will happen when one comes flying off. No thanks. Rotate it the tire around to get it best you can, might try different length bolts to balance it out. Not sure how much space the rims you guys are talking about have i run dirt track stuff.

never had a stick on weight come off.
you should see how hard they are to get off the wheel once they are stuck on.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts