Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Noob question, but this is my first big tire car. I have a recently "completed" build on 33x22 sportsman s/r tires. On the freeway cruising at 70mph, it rides decently smooth for a back half car on 22" wide tires. by 90mph cruising, the steering wheel & shifter are shaking pretty damn hard. Anything past 80mph at WOT, the car shakes VIOLENT.

I pulled the tires, and the previous builder didn't even attempt to balance the tires (and he owned a tire and exhaust shop)

What is the best way to get these tires under control? It honestly feels like they could vibrate me out of control if i take it up too fast. I doubt a balance machine at NTB/Discount can close the hood to spin a 22" wide tire. I really wanted to do the road force balance, but the tire would be too big for that too. It's insane to feel how quickly the car goes from riding pretty smooth, to an uncomfortable white knuckle situation. I'm afraid to go WOT anywhere past 60mph because it starts to rattle your teeth.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Are you sure it is the tires causing the vibration? What you describe reminds me of a very worn transmission tailshaft bushing I once had. Vibration built as speed increased until it suddenly stopped about 70 mph and was smooth as glass after that. Sounded like the car was going to fall apart but then again, it was a 66 mustang so it wasn't exactly luxurious anyway.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i'm not certain, but it makes the most sense. driveshaft has been cut and balanced (did it before cut/balance with same shaft). 4l80e is fresh. trans mount is new. i think i'm going to buy a bubble balancer and check the roll out while the tires are off.

it rides perfect until you get it past 80mph, or put it in boost at anything past 60 mph

·
Registered
740 Posts
when I ran 33x22x15's on 15x18 wheels, I had them spin balanced at a local commercial truck tire shop. they had no problem doing it. now that I run 33x22x20's on 20x17's, they spin on a standard hunter roadforce balancer. the tech had to spring the hood slightly sideways to keep them from rubbing. but no real issue.

I had the same vibration issue that you describe with the 15's. found that one of the tires was out of round. it was replaced under warranty a year after I bought them. most do not know that MT will warranty certain street tires regardless of age if it meets min tread depth.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I tried a harbor freighr bubble balancer. Epic fail. Epic POS. I scored this locally on monday. MUCH better. It actually gives repeatable results. Any pointers on the best method of bubble balancing? Oh, i also ordered 33x22.5 quick time pro bias ply tires to replace the sportsman sr tires.

·
OG Member since 9/7/06
16,843 Posts
Go buy a large container of airsoft BB's, they have to be the kind that do not have The Parting line from casting on them. Put a cup in each rear tire and 1/3 cup in each front tire and your balance issues are gone.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
never heard of this. it seems very un-scientific LOL. Here is the balancer i got ahold of. edit: i guess i just suck at posting pictures on this forum. I give up. it's a coats micro precision m-60.

·
OG Member since 9/7/06
16,843 Posts
It doesn't need to be scientific, just like large tires that they put calcium in smooths them out. I have done it for years in large off-road tires and with my beadlock drag radials. It was just a solution.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm not knocking it. I'm willing to try it if the bubble balancer doesn't work out. I just cant wrap my simple mind around how plastic BB's can balance a wheel/tire.

·
Registered
217 Posts
The BB’s are the same as bead balancing, I’ve ran beads in my 35” mud tires for years, I never run weights and no vibration. This isn’t the first time I’ve heard about the air soft beads in slicks, I’ll be putting some in mine before next race season, not puttting weights on my Comp 5’s.

·
OG Member since 9/7/06
16,843 Posts
Make sure to get the airsoft BB's that do not have the casting flash line on them as those chip up inside and they will clog your valve stems when you are going to air down. The smooth ones do not chip up.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I’ll have to see what I can find, I was looking at some premium ones off amazon that are heavier ones at 0.43g, they are pricey, but will have to make sure they are the better quality ones for sure, just figured the heavier ones would take less in a big tire.

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
Spin balance. Heavy tires usually require a lot of weight. Also, being a new build, you may want to check the builder's suspension adjustments in relation to driveline angle. You'd be surprised how many people don't understand this.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Spin balance. Heavy tires usually require a lot of weight. Also, being a new build, you may want to check the builder's suspension adjustments in relation to driveline angle. You'd be surprised how many people don't understand this.
Ding Ding Ding!

i think it was a combination of the tires, and the driveline angles but mostly the driveline. Now I have new problems. The bias ply 33x22.5 actually measure out to 34, and the tire grows and eats my 1/4 panels. it's always something. i've been slowly movoing the rear around looking for that sweet spot but i think i just need more room.

how are other 69 camaros fitting a tire this size without eating the quarters? They are already stretched out. the tire is catching the bottom corners.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts