Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody else ever gotten a bad 6AL rev limiter chip. or one that is marked wrong??

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was cruising the Chevelle around today, and it would bang the limter at around 4500, I pulled the 7000 chip out, and all was good.

It's a brand new box, with brand new chip

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
I had a bad chip also. Pulled the 7000 out and put in a 7200 and my stutter (sp) was all cleaned up at the stripe.

Andrew

·
Registered
29 Posts
if you are using a distributor to fire the engine, the rev limiter will go off early or sporatic. it's the inaccurate timimg caused by the timing chain. It will be perfect with a crank trigger. I dynoed one today that was chipped at 7600, and at 7300 it was down 100 HP and missing. raised the limiter 400 and it went away. Always early. The same engine with a dist. VS. trigger, 400 rpm different with the same chip.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
if you are using a distributor to fire the engine, the rev limiter will go off early or sporatic. it's the inaccurate timimg caused by the timing chain. It will be perfect with a crank trigger. I dynoed one today that was chipped at 7600, and at 7300 it was down 100 HP and missing. raised the limiter 400 and it went away. Always early. The same engine with a dist. VS. trigger, 400 rpm different with the same chip.
Interesting... It does have a distributor. It was just real weird to me to have one that was that far off, It almost made me think I got one that was marked wrong. 4500rpm and banging the 7000 chip had me scratching my head a little.

·
Registered
465 Posts
If you take an OHM meter, you can measure the resistance through the chip by connecting a probe to each leg of the chip. Works best with a digital meter, but can be done with an analog.

If you buy, for instance, a 7000 series package, you can measure the resistance of each chip and you can see how they trend. I made a chart years ago that had virtually all the chips.

Unforunately, like my mind, I have lost it.

·
Registered
996 Posts
I had a similar problem. Found it to be the actual connection where the chip plugs in. the prongs were spread, and caused a intermitant bad connection or open condition..I pinched the female connector together a little, and all has been fine for over a year now.

·
Pssst is a waist of boost
4,450 Posts
had a guy with a 7AL3 that was 1500 RPM low on every chip
obviously had a problem
I built him some chips for his two step to get low enough and just remarked the ones up higher.

Now he just need to remember that if he ever changes the box

·
Registered
940 Posts
just had a similar problem with a 6al the car would just cut out for a second or two then go back to normal.talked to msd and they believe it is because the car has taylor 409 solid core wires.apparently it creates a resistence problem and effects the limiter.going to switch the wires on the car and see what happens.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts