Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone I'm back on the road. It's been a real good experience learning about rear-ends and how they go together. I think the Dana 60 is a great addition to my car. We built a stout rear-end that's for sure. Car runs nice and smooth no howling or whining. You can feel the locker engage and disengage when your off and on the throttle. I also heard the ratchet going around a turn but barely.
It turned out great.
We narrowed a Dana 60 to fit the car. Inside the housing are a bunch of goodies.
We went with
Detroit Locker
35 Spline Strange Axles
Richmond 4.10 ring and pinion
5/8 axles studs
10 x 2-1/2 drum brakes
Stainless Steel cover
Enland Empire Alum Driveshaft 3.5 diameter
1350 series U-Joints
The housing was sandblasted put in a epoxy primer then painted black.
Well let's get to the good stuff. Pictures

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks

Even drove it to work this morning. Here is a pic at work

·
Registered
342 Posts
Dana 60

That dam chrome cover will leak like a bitch. I have tried everything to get mine to stop leaking and it just refuses. Bypass the headache and get an aluminum cover, that's what I am doing when I get back to it.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You serious. I'll have to keep my eye on it. I got one of them thick stainless steel covers. It's not the cheapy chrome plated 20 dollar kind.

Cover I got is like the old mopar performace covers the thick kind not the new mopar performance thin covers.

We got a good beed of sealant on it. I'll keep an eye on it just incase. Thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hahaha. Yeah there are a bunch of woods out here in MO. The whole parking lot is surrounded by woods.

·
Registered
16,597 Posts
Looks good. Did you have the trans looked at?

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
That dam chrome cover will leak like a bitch. I have tried everything to get mine to stop leaking and it just refuses. Bypass the headache and get an aluminum cover, that's what I am doing when I get back to it.
The Right Stuff!

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Looks good. Did you have the trans looked at?
No

we put it all together and set the car on jack stands. Fired it up and went thru all the gears. It went thru them fine. All gears were good on the jack stand. No leaks or anything while we tested it up in the air. We did however have to replace the trans seal at the back. That was messed up probably when the driveshaft flew out.

I've been driving it on the street so far so good. It shifts nice and firm like it always has. I goosed it here and there and I didn't notice anything odd. Doesn't slip either. I must have lucked out.

I don't know what's going to happen at the track.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Personely I would have done a much lighter 8.8 rear.That being said the 60 looks bad ass!

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yeah I wanted to have a 9inch under the car. We just so happen to have a Dana 60 in the corner of the garage. It was there waiting to be built. I said lets go for it. It would have cost the same either way

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
What do you guys think about them

this is the one I thought looked wierd. It doesn't look so bad.

driver side.

·
Registered
9,850 Posts
lawn is too high , need to cut your grass :-D:-D:-D:-D now try and break that puppy !!! good luck with it !

p.s. shock extensions ??? later on , you'll weild the tubes too !!!

·
I've Got The Cure
2,629 Posts
Those covers can be something to seal..
Couple tricks..
Take a Cover lay on flat surface to make sure not bent. If bent use rubber mallet smacking top of cover and sides to make it flat. Doesnt take much of a hit so take your time. Then use ball peen hammer to peen bolt holts slightly. Lay cover on a block of wood. Outside of cover facing wood or down and peen out the bolt holes slightly.
Then scuff up the sealing surface good on rear end and cover, even taking the chrome off the cover with some Emory cloth, clean with brake clean and use A 1/4 BEAD of Permatex Ultra(Grey) RTV on the rearend surface(NOT THE COVER) even around the bolt holes. Let permatex set up for about 10 mins or so till you get a decent skin build up on RTV before mounting cover. Mount cover torque to specs do not over torque!!!
You will over-crush your peening and it WILL LEAK!!!.
DO NOT WIPE OFF EXCESS RTV THAT SQUEEZES OUT OR IT WILL LEAK!!! LET IT SQUEEZE OUT ALL ROUND THE COVER.
Let sit for 24 hrs trim excess off add lube do not over fill and wipe excess RTV off cover face with brake clean then wax or shine it up..

You should never have another problem ever! :smt023

1 - 20 of 25 Posts