Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i installed a ratchet shifter in a foxbody with a powerglide and it just aint workin. the tranny tunnels tight and im guessing the cable is binding. with the cable off the tranny but routed its hard to shift but i can go from park to low and back. with it hooked to the tranny i can goe from park to low but it wont go back to park. the tranny lever shifts very easy and so does the shifter without the cable. is there a better or thinner cable i can use that wont bind as bad or should i just can this shifter and get something else

·
RED ROCKET
8,632 Posts
smoothest shifter i have used on a powerglide is a probandit from b&m..rear exit and i use the short cable with upside down bracket they sell..alot less bending in the cable as well with this setup.

i bought my stuff from contender performance..they are very helpful.

·
Super Moderator
19,471 Posts
Get a regular standard duty cable. If its better for it to be longer , now is the time to do that also. The thick cables are a real treat sometimes to put it nicely.

Hutch

·
Registered
20,000 Posts
if its binding then you need to reroute it somehow-one other then to look at is if the cable runs above a muffler, esp a Flowmaster, it can melt the inner linner of the cable, really cause problems
can you make the hole thru the floor larger for the cable, take some of the stress off it-i have had those things pretty tight and still move smooth

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
theres no muffler and the car hasnt even been started yet this is all new stuff theres no stress on the cable thru the floor i just think the cable is to thick for the tight radius it makes

·
Registered
152 Posts
Just had this happen with the same shifter. Was hard to shift and tried not to go into park, the brand new cable ended up being junk, replaced with new and works very smooth/easy now.

·
from across the pond...
6,936 Posts
Basically the new thin cables are not very good. I had to put on an old cable i had for a new shifter on a customers car.
I'm sure there is a HD version you can buy that is much better,although imo it should come with the shifter as std,like in the old days.

·
from across the pond...
6,936 Posts
The thinner one is not as good as a HD. You cannot have the cable with too tight a radius. Where it goes through the floor, is it being bent right after the bracket?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
the bend after the shifter bracket is about 7-8 inches after and its not that bad of a radius. i just took the cable out and the cable is damaged somehow. it pulls very easy but takes a lot of force to push this is with the cable stretched out straight. with it bent to mimic how its bent in the tunnel its exactly the same. so i guess i need a new cable.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well i bought a new cable now it works perfect. kind of funny the box they put the new cable in is prolly 20"x20" and the box the shifter,cable and hardware come in is like 11"x15" wonder if that has something to do with bad cables

1 - 11 of 11 Posts